What Would It Take To Create Another Boom in the Hard Rock And Heavy Metal Scene Like The 1980s Were?

This is why I wish symphonic metal bands would incorporate more 80s style guitar playing. They already have the pop crossover bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation are huge in thier native countries and Europe at large.

Troy touched on it in his cracking the code vid series a bit EVH beat Randy in public consciousness because blues is such a hard base of American music. Slash comes to mind as well. And this isn’t a new phenomenon Classical music has had a hard time capturing the culture in America the way it does in Europe. Satch beats out Malmsteen in general public view for the same reason. “Satch Boogie” remains the most played shred song on radio and it’s blues through and through.

Good songwriting sells, it always has. People complain about pop music but the best selling artists always have good songwriting at their core. See Adele. Catchy songs with memorable hooks. The 80s was just a magical time where guitar solos were added to the pop music mix. Seeing how much 80s worship is going on in modern pop in recent years Taylor Swift’s 1989 being a perfect example. The resurgence of sounds like the Yamaha DX7 or Korg M1 in general it seems like we are near a resurgence of 80s style guitar heroics if only some shredders would eschew this “all pop music is trash” elitism that has built up in the metal and shred community. I hear so many ballad type pop tunes that have clear 80s influence and I when the song builds to the bridge I almost expect an 80s type solo but alas. Melody seems dead.

1 Like

If you like melodic or more pop-leaning metal/hard rock, just look to Scandinavia, they still have a thriving scene there with fantastic bands like Reckless Love, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet, Wig Wam, etc. (I don’t think grunge, being a more US-specific national music scene, ever really took off there so '80s-style metal soldiered on):

1 Like

One of my theories that as a result of rap’s dominance of American pop music that melody is dead or dying here while it remains alive in Europe possible due to their long historical ties to complex melodic music. Metal and heavy rock in the US has been almost almost retrograde in its melodic simplicity while more focused on rhythm. It kind of started with groove metal, nu metal heightened it and djent and deathcore made it near parody. (0-1-0-1 (played as a polyrhythm)).

If one looks at history, various forms of music ebb and flow, and combine, to make new variations; 1980’s metal won’t come back like it was, as nothing does.

Personally, i remain mystified by the staying power of rap music, what a sales run!

I beg to differ. I really feel that putting this into perspective gives us an early look at what the different legacies will represent in 50 or 100 years. It’s like, Beethoven did the “Eroica,” and all of a sudden it wasn’t quite as cool to sound like Mozart anymore. Was that “symptom” or “underlying cause?” Either way, it picked up steam and became a self-reinforcing cycle (between composers, tastemakers, and general audience) that really all but dictated what the “sound” was, from Poland to Paris and beyond (yes, I am a Chopin fan), for at least the 70 years or so until the French Impressionist movement threw the old language of harmony out the window. Granted, things move a little faster now.

So as music people, this is the debate of our lives, literally, and will frame the perspective of the generations to follow.

So you really have to go at it from different angles. I think the first is, what sounds are the contemporary popular crossover listener acclimated to?

Hundreds of millions of views – OK, it’s safe to use the term “crossover audience” here.

Definitely building on the same elements as, perhaps, the Def Leppard sound, but with rap vocal style (by the way, RAP is a vocal style, HIP-HOP is a culture – different things!). Whoever said that sound was “dead” is sorely mistaken (and obviously isn’t aware that there is a whole slew of sports and “action TV” in mass media where slamming drums and crushing guitars dominate)! Not that Def Leppard would ever do a rap vocal…

Oops…

So the good news for all you enthusiasts is that the raw material of the hard rock sound is still pervasive in the culture in terms of at least having a foothold with a crossover audience.

If you guys want to talk “niche,” go ahead, but I really think you’re obliged to frame it on a societal level and see what’s driving the culture, because that’s where THAT action is. Don’t get me wrong, an artist can be VERY successful without attracting a crossover audience. But the >TOPIC< here IS crossover audience, at its core.

This is closer to where it’s at. The only thing is that I would go a little wider and include “music the students like to party to” or something – so you get to EDM, female fronted acts, and DJ culture.

Let’s point out two things the debate above is missing:

1. You guys must not spend too much time down south, because you completely left out Southern rock, “jam band” artists in the DMB/Dead mold, and Nashville sounds (rock and country-oriented), ALL of which could pack a festival pre-pandemic, with a mix of old-school legacy legends, mid-career artists, and current artists “the kids” take ownership of on their own terms. And the Nashville artists in particular are on the megawatt stations and the grocery store tabloids.

2. The mindshare of music and music culture has changed. A really significant percentage of suburban 80’s kids were destined to be naturally drawn to MTV styles, which included a heavy dose of guitar at the time. But realize that music was foreground in the cultural sphere, too – and with a limited supply of decently promoted, broadcast quality records, the 80’s kids were also destined to have an interesting mix of both “common ground” and “variety.” In my opinion, this reached full flower on 90’s MTV. Yes, mixed meter Soundgarden and NIN songs coexisted with high production pop like Wilson Phillips and Roxette as well as Dre and Snoop, Prince, and even RATM or Pantera. It was a heck of a playlist, and I’m sure cutouts of Chris Cornell were on the inside panels of high school lockers everywhere. NIN “March of the Pigs” – do you interpret that as 7/4 at 250 BPM or 7/8 at 125 BPM? Realize that that was the LEADOFF SINGLE and a primetime HIT on a QUADRUPLE PLATINUM RECORD!

Connecting directly online to a virtually unlimited number of communities or to the information of choice really short-circuits a lot of EVERYTHING else and also leads to Balkanization, i.e.: the already functionally smaller audience gets divided to the point that, instead of a popular song uniting us, the fire hose of information just allows music fans to find or create their own islands of narrowcasted consumption, which is the opposite of a “movement.” And it’s not like YouTube or Sirius XM care if you’re consuming music or talk radio or stupid pet videos all day.

If you don’t believe all this, go to a bar in Anytown, USA post-pandemic and watch how many Karaoke songs are 90’s tunes.

So it fails under, “if a great record in a POPULAR music style falls in the forest, is it still a great record?” That notion has always been a tough one to me. I mean, everyone has their favorite indie band, and the legacy of some are defined by those they kick the door down for, those who pick up the torch (see: Velvet Underground).

There is a lot more to this, though. If you want to drill down at all and figure out the 80’s to 90’s shift, which was the biggest and most dramatic one that I know of, ever, you’ve got to look at SoundScan and the way the charts were put together, and how much influence this had on the business. The short version is, since charts need to be timely, through the 80’s they (the chart makers) would pretty much survey the big city radio stations and record stores. When SoundScan came about, charts switched to being driven MUCH more by actual week-to-week sales in the suburbs and beyond. So the, for lack of a better term, “slick” genres were replaced by 1) indie sounds that had been bubbling up for 10 years (“grunge” is just a part of this – plenty of artists like R.E.M. and the Indigo Girls were all of a sudden relevant or even hit-worthy), 2) New Country (if you don’t realize how big Garth got post-Soundscan, you weren’t there), and 3) rap/hip-hop (NWA hadn’t exactly been burning up the playlist at KIIS FM). Sure, the '91/'92 backlash was organic. But it was VERY business-driven as well.

There’s plenty more to this topic. Maybe someday I’ll write a book.

“A what? You mean those paper things?”

4 Likes

im thinkin if five finger death punch aint doin it no one can rofl! that band has some serious punch

I prefer Tori’s version. But the slam-dunk greatest version ever is this one - no contest

This is beyond parody. It’s truly sublime

1 Like

The much bigger issue is that for rock metal punk what have you to survive in any form at all, there needs to be an absolutely raging anti-technological pushback against the way software is continuing its march of slowly phasing out musical instruments. Anyway you cut it, the market share of purely electronic music keeps increasing. Music isn’t enough. You’d need a movement of multiple like minded bands pushing the same fiery philosophy to give it legs.

Grunge was just punk part deux. It was a “shut up and play your guitar” reaction to the stagnating Sunset Strip Maybeline show. I saw the lyrics as being ancillary. Sure it wasn’t technically mindblowing, but Mike McCready, Thayil/Cornell, and Cantrell were extremely good riff writers. I remember hearing the Soundgarden song Flower in '88, and thinking my god, if there is more of this grinding sonic brutality to follow, it’s just going take a jackhammer to The Strip.

The biggest hurdle is the medium that first brings music to your ears going from radio to almost completely streaming music.

I disagree with people who say if you write great stuff it will get out there. I think what we’ve witnessed with Billie Eilish exploding out of nothing literally overnight, will unfortunately be the new paradigm. There’s a good WSJ article on it, but Interscope tailored these “exclusive” deals with Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music and others for her right out of the gate, with all sorts of clever ways to package it with video and promote it. It’s the equivalent of a band out of nowhere having a label that can force a song of theirs into heavy rotation on every major radiostation in the world, and run simultaneous Presidential campaign level TV advertising.

Sure there are still clubs and festivals with plenty of bands that have these weird things with strings that I believe were once called guitars and basses, but it’s never been more difficult for music of that nature to gain traction. It needs a thoroughly irritated DIY movement behind it.

I’m not completely following all the turns and bends of this discussion, I have to admit, but I think I’m getting the gist and it intrigues me.

Could you expand on this point in particular?..:

“Rocket Queen” – ironically, you picked the one in which the story is told from the girl’s perspective.

A quintessential band would have to epitomize what is characteristically unique about the decade but also have over-the-top success, like headline EVERY festival they play success. Also, you’d have to figure that NO ONE would be “above” collaborating with them, and their influence would have to extend into culture at large. So, 54-'63= Elvis, 60’s= Beatles, 70’s= Zeppelin/Floyd/Eagles (Stones straddle the decade), 80’s U2 or VH (VH: SEVEN albums from '79-89 platinum pretty much right away, headlined Us '83 and then Monsters of Rock USA at the end of the decade) (Queen and AC/DC straddle the decade), 90’s Nirvana. 2000-2010 would be Coldplay, if you’re talking a guitar/bass/drums model, and 2011-2020 would be Ed Sheeran, again if you’re talking six-string related.

Seriously, I would put MJ or Prince (or maybe Madonna, although I know that’s not where this discussion is going) as epitomizing the 80’s. If you’re trying to keep it hard rock, you could go G 'n R Appetite/Lies/“You Could Be Mine” (T2 soundtrack)/Illusion, but that starts you later on. And you could make an argument for Motley Crue – their timeline is exactly right, they epitomized the image, they got the supermarket tabloids and the crossover audience, and they ended up with the biggest deal in music ever up to that point, right around '89. Maybe Pyromania/Hysteria-era Def Leppard could be in the discussion.

Of course, Metallica was huge, but realize that, as far as the CROSSOVER world was concerned there was the “duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-DUNT” of “One” in the 80’s, and that’s about it – Black Album was dominant of course, but that was early 90’s. I’d make the same arguments for R.E.M. (5 indie albums and then a hit record in the 80’s, then an absolutely dominant chart run in the early 90’s), who to me epitomize the 80’s as much as anybody, but I realize that’s a personal point of view. I think non-fans would lump them in with the PJ/STP/AIC/Dre timeline, or whenever they first heard “Losing My Religion.” There are plenty of hardcore fans who really dig the 5 80’s records from Murmur to Document the way hardcore Metallica fans might dig Kill 'Em All through AJFA.

1991: February: “Losing My Religion”
June: “Alive”
July: “Enter Sandman”
September: “Teen Spirit”

The two highest-up guitar-oriented ones I haven’t mentioned are Taylor Swift and Garth Brooks, who are both still active. That should tell you something.

By the way, Tom Petty (solo and/or The Heartbreakers) has a catalog that is, I think, more pervasive to a general audience than Metallica’s. I think some folks on here are looking in the wrong place.

If the pendulum DOES shift, I see it coming from the Nashville/Americana side – pretty much making THAT rawer and edgier and bringing the audience along, rather than there being some kind of punctuated equilibrium moment like a 2025 metal artist having a “Smells Like Teen Spirit”-type crossover occurrence. Anyone who thinks there isn’t a vast swath of Southern folk who still love loud guitars just hasn’t spent enough time down there, and like I pointed out earlier, if you take the fiddle and pedal steel out, a lot of the Nashville records coming out to this day REALLY follow the Def Leppard blueprint. Don’t forget, after AC/DC and Def Leppard, Mutt Lange revolutionized “New Country” when he produced Shania.

Guitar solos, beer, and beards, and a quarter of a BILLION views. Who said you can’t be a dude with a beard and have a crossover hit?

To this I’ll add that while Cobain was no great shakes of a guitarist, he had a hell of an ear for melody. A lot of these Rick Beato videos can get a little, well, some of them sound like he’s phoning in the “great” part a bit, but this one is pretty spectacular, partly because his genuine love for the material comes through, and partly because of his excellent look on how Grohl selectively pushed and pulled the beat on this performance… but also partly for the breakdown of the interplay between the vocal line and the harmony, which as it turns out is seriously cool. Grunge may have been punk redux, but Cobain had spent his time listening to the Beatles, too.

He butchers the intro riff in the opening, though, I’m hearing some clear sus4 notes in the F and G# power chords that definitely don’t belong in there. :rofl:

He mentioned in a stream once that he doesn’t necessarily like all the songs he includes in that series, so some of them are a bit more “if you like this, this is probably what you like about it”.

2 Likes

A little off topic here, but… glad you posted Beato, cuz I wasn’t aware of this great series of his (though my dad did try to hip me to it a while back - see, always listen to your elders;)

Maybe not so off topic to say that generating great music (80s Boom-style or otherwise) can be intimidating when you watch Rick because he’s got so much theory firepower and me, like, none. But as Beato himself points out, a lot of these amazing songs were written by people who couldn’t pass a theory test.

No knock at all on the academic side. But in terms of actual composition, all that knowledge may be a better rear-view mirror than a window. Beethoven may have been thinking his way analytically through a piece, but Kurt Cobain et al probably weren’t.

Wondering if there’s anyone else out there like me who watches Beato’s analysis and says, so how exactly would a theory-illiterate have arrived at these same note choices? Is it all ear? Or also a big chord vocabulary? Experimentation? Patterning-but-altering other riffs/melodies?

Elusive answers to be sure, but fun to think about, because the answers do exist. I’m a pragmatist; just like I don’t believe in the tooth fairy, I don’t believe in ‘the muse’:wink:

It’s not so much “theory illiterate” vs “theory literate” as it is “knowing the names of things” vs “knowing the sounds of things”.

1 Like

I think in the case of Cobain, he loved the Beatles, and while we dn’t really think of the Beatles as theory gurus, they got their start playing covers of the pop music of the day, which were essentially vocal jazz standards. So, they had some fairly interesting harmonic stuff going on in the material they played and considered influential when they wrote their own songs, and Cobain was probably picking up a lot of that second-hand (though through the filter of a couple of guys with a REALLY good ear for melody). I’ll say that the contemporaneous take on Nirvana was they were essentially a punk band with on/off dynamics and unusually melodic songwriting for their genre, so my guess here is that in Kurt’s case, it was sheer exposure. He grew up litening to a lot of music that had strong melodic hooks and was not necessarily diatonic so te melody was often the part really driving some of the chord changes and holding a song together, and since that was the kind of music he loved, that was the kind of music he wrote.

I mean, one of the cool things about Smells Like Teen Spirit as a song, is that it’s essentially just four chords (and, three of them aren’t a I-IV-V) repeated in a loop, but with this much longer, sort of mournful/soaring melody bridging them together and sort of gluing the repeat together (if you hate the band, sit down at a piano and play the melody while playing at least the bass notes of each chord under it, it’s actually kind of haunting). Something I definitely struggle in my own playing is to try to write melodies that sort of “transcend” the chords they’re being played over, rather than merely following them, and this is a prime example of a simple chord progression where the song does that VERY well.

The Beatles’s influence is interesting, yeah. Maybe we could all use a little of that influence. The Musicians Institute has a really great theory book through Hal Leonard; after the basics, they preface all the more sophisticated harmony stuff by saying: ‘you’re gonna’ hear all of this in the Beatles.’

I read something similar once from Tom Petty in a songwriting book. Something to the effect of, learn the first few Beatles albums and you’re well on your way.

1 Like

Butch Vig encouraged them to distill the songwriting – that’s a big part of how they get from “Bleach” to “Nevermind,” aside from the notion that I think is clear in retrospect, that the drummer “makes” the band, and Dave Grohl was beyond indispensable as far as making that album timeless. Also, if it had been more of a raw punk record, even marginally so, I don’t think it would have crossed over, and it certainly wouldn’t have turned the world on its ear the way it did. Given Kurt’s roots, it really could have ended up being an underground gem, maybe in the Fugazi blueprint.

Also, don’t underestimate the amount of dues-paying that happens in an organically growing scene. On another forum, an engineer who was on staff at Motown, mostly mastering vinyl, was in a thread about this kind of stuff – what happened to the old aesthetic and music ethic, and where did it go? His answer sticks with me: “People need a bar to rise to.” This stuff doesn’t happen in a vacuum, and it’s a leap for it to just be created from whole cloth. This is much of the theme of some of my earlier posting: it’s about the intersection of art and commerce being an interesting place. THAT’s when you get a golden age. If it’s the 80’s, and the hard rock club is where it’s at AND it represents what is creating a chunk of the culture at large, then a significant proportion of the best and brightest in music AND in music business are going to be drawn to it and try to make their mark, particularly if positive momentum has the potential to change their lives in small or big ways. That’s a powerful combination. Fleetwood Mac was considering breaking up during the making of Rumours – it took a million dollar budget and some convincing from those around them that, yes, this album could push them into the stratosphere, for them to stick it out. On a smaller scale, the small-time money R.E.M. was making playing clubs in college towns set the stage for them to even stick together and pay dues as a band at all.

David Byrne points to “venue” as being an obvious but underestimated determinant of creative output. Of course, venue could be the internet as well. But YouTube culture is SUCH a paradigm shift from what came before, both in terms of culture and income stream.

I remember an R.E.M. interview – they were looking back (and getting asked about the old days and their artistic evolution). There was the offhand comment about artistic decisions of bands like them had made coming up at the time (circa '81): “hey, guys, we could play “Whipping Post” and make $300 a night!” That $300 in 1981 dollars is approaching $1000 in value now. So a night’s entertainment at a hot college club is worth $1k, as a routine thing (pandemic years excepted)? Sure, 100 kids paying $10 a pop would get to that point pretty easily (or 200 at $5 a head) – that even sticks to the standard of letting the band keep the cover and the club keep the bar tab. So 100 kids getting a cheap night out – $20 in today’s terms, with cover and a couple of cheap beers (and a tip), this happening at even just 3 or 5 places in a given town, or 10 places in a city, really represents a scene. I’m throwing out numbers to give you a sense of scope, but I don’t think they’re that far off, for the purpose of discussion.

Do you think $200 or more in everyone’s pocket, plus a crowd that truly just WANTS to party to – what’s that band on stage again? – you know, THAT kind of crowd…if you’re interested in keeping your “baby band” together and the scene is supporting a certain number of bands who can put this process on “rinse and repeat” while building a name – I don’t know about you, but that’s the part where I say, “hey, this is starting to work, let’s push some limits here…what if we do THIS?”

I’m a little young for this, but now you see why the drinking age going up was a HUGE deal – colleges and college towns were kind of a fishbowl for this sort of thing. I do NOT think that it’s a coincidence that the American ideal of the “live band that paid its dues for years and then found its audience organically,” going back to hillbilly folk music in the 1800’s and really hitting a stride for the rock 'n roll years, kind of comes to a grinding halt by '95 or earlier. Think about it: the drinking age went up in the mid 80’s, but a lot of people had already paid dues by then in the clubs, so they’re seasoned but still young enough to shake things up (remember, the Beatles left Britain to pay dues in Hamburg and emerged a >different< band from when they left). The “grunge generation” is the last to by and large have that ethic – born in '62-65, with some holdovers born up to '68 who either cracked into the local scene as teenagers or experienced a culture that was living on fumes as the clubs tried to stay alive while losing a chunk of their business.

There used to be hard rock bands who would perpetually play a given circuit professionally, 3 sets a night, maybe working some originals in, maybe selling T-shirts and cassettes, coming around a given town every two months or so. If the band was really good and very professional, this could go on for a while, with the establishment of a brand and reputation – then band members would get snapped up for signed bands, etc. But this scene did rely on a certain amount of money going around to keep everyone from, frankly, cutting their hair (at the time) and going into computer programming or selling cars.

So to circle back to the original topic, there is zero chance of recreating THAT environment. But the question would be, how can we get that energy and vibe around that hard rock sound and attitude that a lot of us love? I think it’s a matter of getting streaming royalties right so that people who are business-savvy and drawn to show business in general, see the music business as “where the action is” and not as some kind of washed-up backwater when compared to other formats. If you had access to a million dollars of investment money but were beholden to creating positive returns, would you do film or TV or some kind of general online media, or would you start a music label and do artist development? The instant that the environment becomes such that there are some visionaries with that kind of mojo AND the chutzpah to get access to those kinds of funds going, “heck, yes, I’m the next Ahmet Ertegun,” you’ll at least see SOME kind of organic revolution. I say this because it’s enough to ask someone to be “struck by lightning” artistically – it seems these days that, not only do you have to be talented at your craft, but you have to run your entire career, top to bottom, at least until you’ve really climbed the ladder to the point that you don’t “need” the help that you really could have used on the way up.

And, honestly, the special ones really needed that backing. Chas Chandler was the bassist for the Animals – he managed Hendrix and was convinced that Hendrix could break in an exciting and profitable way. He tried everything and then sold four (?) of his basses as a last ditch effort to fund a label showcase for him – basically betting a decent chunk of everything he had on this unknown’s career. For every Dre or Fugazi who you could see selling records out of the trunk of a car or by mail order, there might be a fragile genius – and those might be the most interesting ones, the psychonauts among us who take the art to other places. If they’re not oriented towards the business end, but their YouTube royalties might, you know, pay for a sandwich or a month’s rent, but that’s about it, is there going to be a Chas Chandler to mortgage everything to champion him or her to the world at large? Hendrix was so incandescent that his career arc seems inevitable in retrospect, but it really wasn’t.

2 Likes

I call this the “extinction of 7th chords” in pop music the farther removed we’ve come from jazz being in the mainstream.

Ok let me start by saying the “quintessential” 80s metal band was Iron Maiden, and that pains me to say because I was raised on Judas Priest but that is whatever it is. Nobody in the 80s was bigger than Maiden. Nobody.

Second, another music boom absolutely doesn’t hinge on female fans. Is it nice having fans across genders? Absolutely. But the simplest fact is this, most of the 80s hair metal acts…Motley Crue, skid row, poison…got girls in their audience because those girls were hot for those band members. Believe that. I grew up with enough girls in that era that couldn’t name a skid row song but would be drooling at the front of the stage for Sebastian Bach. That’s not at all to say those bands didn’t make good or great music, nor that said females were solely interested in a hot singer/guitar player and not the music, but saying a female fanbase really makes all the difference in wether a venue allows you to play is almost like saying football wouldn’t be as popular without women. It’s ridiculous. Venues want heads in attendance. ANY heads. PAYING heads.
In the realm of metal I’ve watched far too many heavy, aggressive bands absolutely pack venues…full of dudes on many occasions and I’ll also add, the 80s metal movement, the record sales, the ticket sales, the attendance records…largely male. Don’t buy it? Watch a couple of the Donnington Monsters of rock festival shows with close to half a million people in attendance and do a head count.

I will buy into bands having it harder now in some ways. While it’s become much easier to have your music accessible to the masses, making money from it is tough. Largely these days bands are all or mostly in house, which means they’re free to make all the good and bad decisions they want. In the 80s, record companies had PR departments, legit marketing, radio. Bands then had those things at their disposal because a record label believed they had a product that would be profitable, and they would sell the hell out of it. Today, music retail is gone, radio is gone, or at least its capacity has diminished so far as I’d ask when was the last time YOU listened to the radio?

But let’s get to the meat and potatoes. What would it take for another movement like that in metal? A miracle. Those bands then…let’s start with the NWOBHM, were creating a sound. Not an original sound mind you. They grabbed onto things they heard from progenitors and spun it into a legitimate musical force that really only peeked out here and there on records in the 60s and early 70s. Plus classical music, then blues, then massive guitars and pushed tempos. Not to mention, all of those bands could write songs, all of them could play their guitars, all of them could perform. Plus the timing was perfect. The world needed something MORE. Something not so sweet. Something dirty. Something to REALLY piss parents off. Then thrash rears it’s ugly head and you have a culmination of musicianship and sheer aggression that grabs the attention of those wanting even more. Let us also not forget shred. A 19 year old Yngwie cut almost everyone in half in 1985 with rising force. Then the king of all kings, Eddie Van Halen, at the height of his powers. And I won’t leave out hair metal(I hate that term)…some of the best guitar players anywhere, ever.
Overall, we can say the 80s wasn’t just great for metal but it was great for music. By today though, the tempos have been pushed about as far as they’ll go. The arpeggio sweeping speed monsters are a cliche almost. And there’s so many sub genres of metal now I think it rivals porn just by sheer classifications. I’d almost say the answer would be, we would have not heard all that we’ve heard for there to be another massive metal movement.

1 Like