What's your pick story?

Here’s a picture for comparison.

Top row: EJ Jazz III, 0.60mm Tortex, 1.0mm Tortex Flow.

Middle row: Jazz III XL, Jazz III, Jazz III, Jazz III XL

Bottom row: JP Jazz III, JP Trinity, JP Flow

1 Like

Gotcha thanks. The trinity looks like it would be very similar to the JP flow which I think is the same as the Andy James flow

The Trinity has the same edge geometry but it’s thinner than the JP Flow. The JP Flow is 2mm, the Trinity is ~1.4mm like a standard Jazz III.

I’ve been switching between the JP Jazz III, EJ Jazz III, JP Trinity and a Flow Standard Ultex (which is gigantic to any of the others).

As time goes on…I’m caring less and less about which one I grab. But I’m also practicing my picking mechanics better and more often than ever before. I’m not sure what that says…but there it is. :slight_smile:

Same here (in concept, not specifically those picks). I was a lifelong jazz iii user but now my go to picks look like this:

Various flows, tortex/ultex, swiss picks, trinity etc. I don’t seem to care too much about which one I use and if I rotate in a ‘new’ one, it often seems better, probably just because it’s new. In the olden days, that ‘new’ feeling would have thrown a major monkey wrench into things. I’m getting much less ‘picky’ about my picks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m currently using Dunlop Tortex Sharp and Tortex III picks, mostly 1.5 gauge. Used to go back and forth betweeen Jazz IIIs and regular-sized pointy picks based on what type of pick felt more comfortable.

Lately, I’ve been looking into Jim Root Signature Custom Nylon picks 'cause they seem to have the best of both worlds, but I don’t like the fact that they come in packs. If anyone’s got any experience with those picks, I’d really appreciate any insight.

Just wanted to shout out to @Frylock , the tackle box has been genius!!! This is a MUCH better way of storing my picks than what I was doing before (this thread in post #6)

4 Likes

I also organize my picks using plastic boxes that I bought from Amazon and a D’Andrea tin that I use to keep the picks that I’ve been using more recently:

Throughout the 30 years I’ve been playing guitar, I’ve gone through so many picks changes. It’s that thing like everyone says, that it seems you’ll never find the Holy Grail. One day, I’m convinced that pick A is the one, the next day, I change my mind very easily and think it’s pick B. However, along the years, I’ve been settling more on pointier picks, although I still use sometimes the more traditional Fender 351. I’ve spend a good amount of years using smaller Jazz III (red and black), but I stopped once I started realizing that playing them live is a bit hard, with all the sweat and sometimes you just need a bit more pick to hold on in the heat of the moment. I’ve set in a more traditional size pick (351), but with pointier tip.

In the picture above, the bottom line are the ones that I’ve been using daily. I usually swap between each, specially when I’m doing some exercise or trying to play a line that is giving me some trouble. My main one is currently the Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.0, but I must say that I was impressed by the Pos-a-grip Pickboy of 1.0 and 1.2mm. I like to use picks that are more standard and not hard to find (although these days you can buy everything online), to avoid being stuck on a single type of pick that I might not have in the future.

3 Likes

What I’ve realised is i gravitate between extreme playing styles. Malmsteen to country and Stevie Ray in between, etc. No one pick is going to be the one. I like the kozik 1 mm for country, blues and jazz even. The purple 1.5 for higher gain. Interestingly the D’Andrras 1mm Plek seems to tonally work in any situation, lasts longer as well, but is a tad harder to play with, one it’s slightly smaller, and it offers a bit more resistance with friction, which is great for practice as well.