Which amplifier?

I recently bought a Victory V30 and love it. It eliminated my need for dirt pedals (for the first time ever), and I’m very picky about my dirt. Depending on the amp, I used to have to use a combination of any of the following:

• HoneyBee BJFE
  • Bob Burt Gr8t Distortion
  • Wampler Euphoria
  • BB Preamp

…and probably one or two I forgot. I’m able to get whatever I need from this amps gain channel, and its cleans are exactly what I’m looking for.

I’m not going to try to describe the tone, I find that to be too subjective.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion - I remember back in the… eek, mid-late 90s, when I was really just learning to play, plugging into one of those in a small music shop and being reasonably surprised. Seemed to capture an overall Mesa-like profile, I think right down to different channel “modes,” but in a solid state package. Hadn’t thought about that in years though.

Tried all of the Tonemasters. Close, but these aren’t quite what I want.

I did try a Boss Nextone, and it’s pretty excellent so I ordered the Nextone Special which should be here sometime this week. lol Hopefully it doesn’t suck hahaha

1 Like

Cool amps!

In case the nextone doesn’t work out for you:
Not sure if this has been mentioned…
https://amp-x.bluguitar.com/en/
not out yet but his other mercury editions are well received.

1 Like

I recently moved away from my EVH icon head/cab…

to the Helix - PC plus platform.

I found the Helix a bit too much for me… and honestly… the PC plus cab just didn’t sound good to my ears…

I went with a L6 CATALYST, which imo has the purest tube tone of any modelling amp
out right now… I’ve tried both the Vyper and the Katana…

This is just an overview… some real crushing tones in here as well.

2 Likes

I didn’t try the Catalyst - I have an HX Stomp that I play through an L6 Powercab, and while it’s pretty cool it’s not quite what I am looking for. I will keep that as a fly rig though

I’ve had the Nextone Special for two weeks, and it is effing awesome. Seriously, it’s a badass amplifier that has it’s own thing going on. Really, it does what I need it to, and it sounds great. Super loud, can take pedals well, but has this 'fury" flavour that’s hard to describe… Yeah it’s awesome.

It’s not clear to me if the Boss amps (Katana, Nextone…) use the same engines as their G1000 and GX100 pedals.