Which fingers do you use to play fast pentatonic runs?

Say we’re on the 7th fret in position one of the pentatonic and we want to do some Eric Johnson style repeating licks. Are you using your 1st and 2nd fingers or 1st and 3rd?

What about if we’re doing the same thing in Em on fret 12?

For me, using fingers 1 and 2 feels faster, but it’s a tough stretch anywhere lower than the 7th fret, and even there I have to kind of turn my hand “sideways.” I also find it harder to bend with my 2nd finger than my 3rd.

Fingers 1 and 3 seem to work better in general but I wonder if that’s just bc it’s what I’ve done for longer rather than it being more efficient.

I try to always look at what the pros do but it can be hard to see in videos that you can’t slow down or with lots of camera cuts.

I used to basically never use my pinky outside of bigger stretches much like EJ - here’s a video from a while ago playing Cliffs of Dover:

https://youtube.com/shorts/cvu1McUUShA?feature=share

Now that I’ve diversified my lick repertoire a little more outside of strictly EJ style pentatonic stuff I find myself using the pinkie a lot and my go-to fingering for the regular pentatonic box is 1-4 for the bigger stretches and 1-3 for the smaller ones. Don’t think there’s much difference tbh, do what feels best and most repeatable. Tried playing Cliffs again recently after having shelved it for a while and I’m using my pinkie a lot now:

https://youtube.com/shorts/2fgUg7Lu0cc?feature=share

@Tom_Gilroy did a cool piece on efficient digital cycles and fingering combinations, check it out! It might have some helpful information for you on this topic.

I actually am one of the rare players (from what I’ve seen and understand) who overuses their pinky. I used to use it for bending all the time, even.

After having watched tons of video of players I admire, I realized that they very rarely use their pinky unless it’s absolutely necessary, so I’ve tried to understand why certain digit choices are more efficient than others.

In my post though, I’m not talking about 1-3 vs 1-4, I’m talking about 1-3 vs 1-2. I imagine at a certain point on the fretboard, everyone shifts from 1-3 to 1-2 for pentatonic fingerings – considering the higher you get up on the neck, the shorter the distances required to stretch.

Great playing! You’ve really got the speed down. I’m envious. We also have the same hair! Haha.

I think you linked the same video twice rather than the tom gilroy one lol

Oops lol you’re right; fixed the second link.

Also here’s Tom’s post:

Gary Moore was a predominately 1-2 guy for pentatonics from the videos I’ve seen of him, he might be a good one to look into.

1 Like

Thanks man! That’s interesting about Gary. I imagine that most players who can make those stretches 1-2 probably would? It seems more efficient but I’m not sure, and that’s why I’m going to watch the videos now.