Why Doesn't 2 Way Pickslanting Make Techniques Specifically Made For Cross Picking Unnecessary?

Have you done any work on sweeping specifically? When I sweep toward the floor I am performing the same basic downstroke as a dwps. If my slant was the same when sweeping toward the ceiling I would leave the plane of the strings and even cause pain in my hand.

Yes, sure. Indeed pick slants for sweeping, both sides (i.e. depending on ascending vs descending sweep). But again itā€™s not like if itā€™s a conscious way of holding the pick slanted. Itā€™s more like loosening the grip a little enough to have the pick temporarily slanted in the desired direction. You can easily sweep up and down that way. So the slant happens as a result of the direction of phrase, not like Iā€™m consciously deciding to slant the pick one way or the other at a given time.

This is a good example btw, because what I want to say here is that the TWPS concept to me is more a result of the phrase rather than a conscious decision. Basically I canā€™t fathom how you could make it work if the idea is to consciously change pick slanting one way or the other, especially i the context of improvisation or unplanned licks. If you end up with questions like ā€œwhen should I shift the slant in a 3nps line vs a 2nps or a 6nps ?ā€ I think something is wrong. To me the slant (or slant shift) should happen kind of automatically. Itā€™s what Iā€™m seeing in e.g. Oz Noy (totally great) playing. To me Itā€™s more a ā€œlet the pick loose enough to lean against the next stringā€ rather than a genuine slant.

But again thatā€™s just me. Iā€™m not saying a more conscious approach of pickslant is invalid (and I mean specifically in the context of TWPS), just that for me it doesnā€™t seem to work.