Wrist flexion vs. Slanting

Thanks for the detailed answers.
Your guess makes totally sense.
Enenthough the angled motion does not escape in both directions it does not slow you down. That’s a pretty good explanation to me.

For stringhopping I am not totally sure. I remember when you teased the last Andy wood interview you asked us to find out what’s going on in a short clip and added a warning that he is using stringhopping when he played slow. I agree that for some people the problems caused by stringhopping are small or maybe even not there. But I still think in the very beginning it’s what most if not all people do.

Anyway the main question is basically answered by your guess. Wrist extension works against repetition when not used correctly. All other methods lose accuracy or cause unwanted notes but the motion/timing is kept.
My tortured brain is happy again :grinning:

Thanks @Troy

To be clear, this really has nothing to do with wrist extension. Wrist extension is only the stringhopping movement when you are exactly parallel. At all points between parallel and 90-degree supinated, stringhopping is actually a blend of wrist extension and deviation, with the deviation component taking over the more supinated you become. When are you Steve Morse, who is highly supinated, stringhopping is almost entirely deviation.

So no, nothing ‘evil’ about wrist extension. Or deviation. What is evil is trying to use a muscle group and its antagonists for a single pickstroke.

1 Like

Got it extension is not necessarily lifting from the strings due to the angle of the wrist, didn’t have that in the equation and need to check when back home.
The ‘no evil’ was basically the reason for this topic, it seems the majority tends to have an angled setup and I wanted to understand why.

Thanks the clearification!

A while ago I stopped doing my beginner variation of wrist pushups because of this, I just started using some stretching exercises and read some useful texts like this one as not to completely neglect my wrist extensors, but I feel pain every time when I wrist go into flexion close to or beyond 90 degrees. I’ve had wrist pain before from basketball but that’s healed relatively quickly so I have no idea how to handle this, any advice is appreciated. It’s not sharp or overwhelming pain, but it’s very irritating.