YJM - Trilogy Main Riff

I wasn’t going to at first, but I think I’ll actually put in some real time on this one, it’s a piece that I always wanted to play through. I’ve been mostly playing with different approaches to the intro ascending runs with DSX as kind of an etude for ascending scalar runs. Using them to practice some 2 way pick slanting, as well as changing around the fingerings to do a reversal of of Yngwie’s descending runs, playing 3 notes on the A string then 4 on D etc. and also trying out another pattern starting on upstroke and moving the first 4 notes to the A string. Lot’s of exercises to derive from that.

The timing on the main riff I think I can master more easily since I’m not working so much on developing picking patterns for that, I’ll try playing along to slowed down backing tracks.

1 Like

This riff is one of those must learn for yngwie fans I think.

The intro runs, ive be n starting on a G. A little bit more challenging, but mostly use it an an excuse to pratice them regularly, the alternating 3 & 4 pattern can quickly become a slur if I don’t keep it fresh. For the last one , caprice 5 has inspired me to add another octave to it, still working through it though.

I made a galloping drum loop to help with h this track, but as you have also discovered, this riff can be a spring board for a lot of related yngwie type patterns. But the only reason i mentioned metronome to you is to develop the groove or feel, you play superb, but there is room for improving the feel, sometimes that means slowing down and feeling it first.

I sometimes feel like I should get into two way slant but i end up hybrid picking with which I’m happy to develop my skills more around that as well.

2 Likes

Yeah the feel on Yngwie is different. Not quite as tricky in terms of feel/timing as Marty Friedman which I’ve also been working on Dragon Mistress some, but compared to a lot of neoclassical or shred players in general it’s got that swing/blues feel to it and lots of quirks from developing his own patterns and combining them by feel. Like even the scalar runs at the beginning have some odd timing/double picked notes on the turnaround.

@Twangsta

My progress so far - I was out of town the last week so I didn’t practice much, but I did the days before and this afternoon. Still some hang ups but the timing is coming together

2 Likes

This is a lot better, I’d say you have it down bro, Well done!

1 Like

Thanks man! Thinking I might go back and work through a few of Yngwie’s songs that I’ve always wanted to get down, at least the main riffs. Still not feeling like it’s totally clean on the intro ascending scales, I’ve been working on my 2wps more to clean them up and definitely making progress. I’d like to learn them both alternate picked and the original economy way.

1 Like

It’s probably a good thing to have more than one way to do things. Personally I use hybrid picking to mix things up. Also I’m at that point where Im trying to develop my own voice, I’m thinking beyond the riffs and iconic hooks, it’s better to be able to improvise, though it’s hard not to try and copy things to get started, or to set a baseline. So much delicacy to be had in the details.

Especially those three into runs, I’ve been adding more and more notes to it, hell of a lot of fun. I’ve also been trying to drop some of the excessive he gain these days. I find it sounds better recorded and in the room even, plus you get to dial more bass in, sweetens it some.

1 Like

Thought you Yngwie fans might like this, I got into the transcription mood this morning. I want to finish the second one, but lets not get our hopes up. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes