Yngwie Malmsteen's new lessons

Yngwie started uploading some lessons on YouTube. He tries(?) to explain a few basic things about his mechanics and his thinking behind them. He has uploaded two videos so far about arpeggios and the use of minor scales.

The new thing about these videos is that there is a camera showing a bit better Yngwie’s right hand, hope it can help us understand more.

Hope some more experienced CTC members can get something from this and “chew” it for the rest of us. :wink:

7 Likes

I’ve seen a few of these. The playing is great, the teaching… well, let’s just say it’s not his strongest talent! Ha!
I believe they’re actually from a few years ago (2013 I think) He attempted to have his own online guitar school with paid membership. Didn’t seem to work out though.

I like this example though. Again, doesn’t really show ‘how’ to do anything, but the playing is great and there’s some very cool ideas you can take from it.

4 Likes

50 posts were split to a new topic: Teaching music theory - role/importance of terminology

I wouldn’t say it’s to be expected - Yngwie does this lick plenty clean on many occasions, including the old REH tape. It’s wrist with a small amount of forearm. Yngwie’s a relatively supinated player, with a George Benson-esque setup, so this like an “801” type of approach, if you like.

3 Likes

He’s a great player, but he’s got to be the worst teacher.

The only guy I know who is an incredible player and teacher is Rick Graham. If you want to learn a lot of the terminology/technique, along with witnessing extraordinary playing, check out his youtube channel.

Also, for really good ‘beginner theory’ check out this guy:

1 Like

I feel much better now that the term is not being wantonly abused. :wink:

One of the things about Yngwie, he doesnt ever say who taught him to play. the closest thing I have ever heard him say was, “I am from a musical family” or something to that effect If he is really self taught, maybe thats why he isn’t that good of a teacher. I think with natural age progression, they say its natural to want to leave something behind,or pass on what we know. Mybe YJM is going through this phase. He is definitely trying to rejeuvinate his career, he is touring pretty regularly. I saw him with Generation Axe in Nov 18 and again on his own in May 19. I think he took a break for Christmas and headed back out on the road, definately hasnt been home much this year. I think the current lesson vids are better than the ones from late 80’s early 90’s when he was barely 30 years old.

Yngwie is probably mostly self taught and doesn’t remember exactly how or when everything started to come together. Even super analytical players like Martin Miller, who totally gets all the stuff we talk about, often don’t really remember. They just know they have these motions now and they know there was a time when they didn’t. Getting great at something with nobody actually showing you how — it’s a hallmark of many great players.