Your favorite video game music that were so good you had to learn the melodies and phrases

There is a remake of SH2 coming, along with several other SH games. Team Silent is long gone, of course, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this will be good.

But yes, I agree that they’re the best horror games. I distinctly remember my first encounter with Pyramid Head - total WTF nightmare fuel. haha

3 Likes

Bionic Commando (PAL) on the Commodore 64. Especially Stage 2 and 4.

2 Likes

It’s the second line there in both games:

1 Like

Eh, best I could do, quickly as possible.

1 Like

If Konami does good with the SH2 and MGS3 remakes I might forgive them for Silent Hills…

3 Likes

I’ll have to pick up a new console for this. I’m also keen to play Alan Wake 2. Loved the first one, which was about ten years back!

3 Likes

This is probably my favorite metal tune from any game, Kevin Sherwood’s djenty Pareidolia from an old COD zombies map. Really great chorus, love the progression.

3 Likes

The original one from COD: WAW is still my favorite and her vocal delivery reminds me of Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil.
That riff has pure horror move a la Tubular Bells in the Exorcist or Halloween theme vibes.

2 Likes

Same game, I love onimusha, Part of my childhood. I can’t play waterfall mountain, wish I could.

I think you need a 7 string for this arpeggio. I still play it even if I can’t as I’ve only six strings.

2 Likes

The song that goes with everything:

Also, the entire Castlevania: Symphony of the Night OST is a masterpiece IMHO:

2 Likes

Game music that’s so good you learn it? Count me in! CS:GO has some epic tracks that get you in the zone, don’t they? Speaking of epicness, discovering game music that sticks with you is amazing.

1 Like

I’m not a big gamer - I’ve played a couple here and there over the years (always liked the Diablo series, I’m bummed the newest isn’t out on Mac, but honestly I don’t have the time for it anyway) and I suppose while I’m thinking of it I technicallu did work out the Tristram theme at some point, simply because it is a cool set of chords.

But, not only did I learn how to play this after first hearing the theme song, I immediately bought the damned game. :rofl:

“if at first you don’t succeed… you fail.”

4 Likes

Tristram theme 4 life!

There’s a moment in Diablo IV where the OG theme is used, and it took me right back to being a teen again. lol It was great!

1 Like

Going old school. This is just incidental music from one of the main areas in the game, but it’s so satisfying when that D/F# hits.

Another from childhood - I made a full arrangement of this long ago.

2 Likes

I just remembered this absolutely beautiful theme from Icewind Dale 2 that I transcribed years ago because I loved it so much.

2 Likes

I know I said I would leave up the discovery of the TurboGrafx-CD/PC Engine CD audio tracks to you guys, but this one is for the Yngwie J. Malmsteen fans.

1 Like

Yup, especially the Castlevania GOAT:

1 Like

I’m surprised nobody has posted him already, so I think I need to put this right (you’re all welcome):

1 Like

Love it! Brings back memories of my thumb being rubbed raw trying to do “Hadouken”, “Shuryuken” and damn near impossible “Tatsumaki Senpukyaku”

I was always way better at Guile and M Bison’s special moves…

1 Like

Here’s two from two games I probably should have been playing at the time

The Getaway - Main Menu Theme

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Opening Credits

Vice City came out in 2002 when I was thirteen, and the in-game soundtrack was awesome. VROCK was my first exposure to a lot of '80s rock and metal bands, and the first place I heard Steve Vai’s guitar playing.

I also really loved the Main Theme from L.A. Noire

and this short piano piece from Heavy Rain