Zakk wylde two notes per string soloing

Yeah, definitely. Or he could keep to DWPS and just swipe at the end of the lick. So many of his solos seem very DWPS-compliant. I wonder how he’d play the occasional non-DWPS-compliant lick if he doesn’t ever swipe?

Hey Troy, This is interesting… Since posting is it still a mystery or have you possibly discovered something new? Regarding elbow mechanic, are you positive the elbow doesn’t do an escaped upstroke path? If so, it seems you’re implying that the elbow does do an escaped downstroke path so was that implication intended? Vinnie Moore used elbow for his fastest stuff and it wasn’t all swiped was it? So how did Vinnie Moore achieve escaped paths for upstrokes and downstrokes at his top speeds? Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m just assuming, but I think there are three possibilities. As long as you don’t bend your upper body over your guitar, the elbow produces an UPWS-motion. To escape the upstroke you can:

a. Use a thumb/index-finger combination like Martin Miller
b. Use wrist extension
c. Involve shoulder, rotating the upper arm. (Jerk-off-motion)

As I think about it, there might be other possibilities. Forearm rotation can produce a lifting motion of the pick, depending on your wrist deviation angle (suplication when radially deviated, probably impossible when ulnary deviated).
It might also be possible to pick from the elbow with a suplicated setup and use radial deviation to escape the upstrokes. Some kind of elbow/wrist-crosspicking so to say :wink:

Sometimes I really think it would be fun to try and compare all those theoretical approaches. Then I realize how much time it would take and that it’s all about playing guitar, no matter which way, and forget about it.

Thomas

1 Like