100 Year Old Mandolin Virtuoso

Alright team!

Troy sent me this recently as an example of some cool vintage footage to transcribe, so here it is

Now, nerd out on his picking hand!

9 Likes

That’s some serious picking!
I can’t see if the arm is moving seen as they are dressed like a clown :joy: . So I ain’t too sure what’s happening here, apart from some very impressive pick attack at speed!

I feel so sad to see that he had to dress like a clown, his picking is anything but!

Awesome thanks for doing this! Super awesome clip and playing, and the earliest example of virtuoso picking on film that I am aware of.

For the informed, describe the picking technique being used here. For extra credit, explain how approaching the strings from * below * affects this!

2 Likes

That is so cool! Looks all wrist to me right?

Trailing edge Shawn Laine style wrist? I could be way off on this one…

Awesome transcription!

What do you use to produce the tab at the bottom? Is it a screencap of guitar pro that you then sync to the video?

Brings back memories :smiley:

1 Like

yeah mate - spot on!

2 Likes

here is one i have been listening to tonight and upon hearing the end i spotted the italian solfeggio mi re do

then you listen again and again you can hear all sorts of it inside it sounds like mi re do, fa mi re(might be so fa la, i am not the greatest interpreter of how the system works) , fa mi re, so on and so on. wiki says, ‘He learned to play mandolin in the Italian tradition under Francesco Della Rosa.’

now the question is was he referring to silver bells that rang out mi re do? :laughing:

you can really hear the italian flair in it with those little tremolo picking embellishments.

2 Likes