2WPS Emerging....I Think

@Troy, I have been working now for a few weeks on 2WPS or from what I understand, using a combination of DWPS and UWPS. It is making sense to me that while playing licks with odd numbers of notes played per string requires this combination. I have been watching the “magnet” videos of your technique. I have tried to emulate the way you pick. For example, the way you hold your pick, your right arm placement and the stroke of the right hand. At times, while I play certain things, it feels like what I see you do. As I showed in a critique video in another post, there was considerable forearm movement in my picking but there seemed to be a lack of 2WPS when necessary. So, in the last practice session I had, I focused on less forearm movement and more wrist movement with adjustment from DWPS to UWPS. Although it feels awkward, I can feel the accuracy coming. I can actually feel muscle burn in my forearms due to intense focus on accuracy. I do not have any pain, it feels more like burn from using muscles in a new way. What seems to be appearing is authority and intensity. I’m not trying to playing light speed, but rather more intense and purposeful. There are times when I can actually feel the note being played throughout both hands and arms at the same time. It’s hard to explain, but it somehow feels right. I noticed yesterday when I practiced that it didn’t take very long to warm up. And, I was playing the Eric Johnson Western Flyer lick, not as fast yet, but with more accuracy and intensity. The Doug Aldrich lick in which you used as an example in the live seminar, and one that I have tried to conquer for about 5 years, is coming along. I think I am able to get it up to about 105 bpm quickly and able to play it 4 or 5 times before I loose timing. I would definitely say I’m on the verge of a breakthrough. My goal is to be able to play whatever lick at will. I think once I am able to DWPS and UWPS without having to think about it, the connection will be there.

I’m hoping in the future that you will do some videos on left had technique or fretting technique. I think that the subtle corrections in technique we make from the instruction you give will make all of us great players. I have never been this focused on technique.

1 Like