9-3 picking motion feels uncontrollable

Yes and no
I would move the pick fast into the rest stroke…but not at a fast Tempo. Think of quarter notes at 140bpm…but the wrist moves fast when striking the string. Then 8th. …then burst of 16ths…then double the burst…etc.

Whatever part of that worked for me vs. being psychosomatic I don’t know…but it felt right.

To be clear…I would do all those motions mentioned above in a 2-3 minute window…rinse and repeat with different fingerings.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, Just thought id try and help out here - I think your issue with the downward pickslant in general is your forearm position - nothing to do with the wrist here i think.

Try pushing the ulna on your picking forearm into the guitar and rotating down onto the strings from there instead of having the fleshy part of your arm resting on the guitar - see the video below for visual reference (apologies for being a lefty)

Picking hand

1 Like

Yeah it’s fine to move it here! :+1:

Yeah I’ve tried a good bit of experimentation, and I will keep going.

Good advice to focus on my strength of DSX, and I’m having a great time going through the John Mclaughlin section of the Primer. Blazing through those examples at 160 bpm with no tension feels very nice. Thinking about focusing that motion and forming some of my speedier licks around it.

Those EJ pentatonics are just too sexy though haha oh well, I guess we all have that white whale that’s just out of reach.

Really blown away by how many people took time out and wrote thoughtful advice, so big thanks to the CtC community!

1 Like