902 / Wrist DBX - Arpeggio Crosspicking Critique

Hi All,

I have been a USX player since starting with cracking the code about a year ago. I’m a huge fan of John Petrucci and wanted to work on my DBX Alternate Picking so figured i would give the 902 / RDT Motion a go using the new wrist content on the primer.

I have started giving some cross picking arpeggios a go to and would love some feedback if i am on the right track or if this is string hopping / inefficient. I feel like i have been going a little crazy with trial and error over the past few weeks tweaking everything from pick grip, approach angle, tracking across the strings etc and this is the most natural feeling motion i have come across to date. I still have a fair bit of trial and error to do when playing ascending scalar passages from a tracking perspective but feel like i might be onto something here with the crosspicking arpeggios.

P.S - Apologies for e the delay in the first few reps i forgot i had it on :smile:

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

1 Like

This seems to me to be more of a RDT/rotation blend than a 902-style continuous DBX wrist movement.

It’s a solid movement with a lot of potential, and reasonably common with players who are more typically mixed escape than continuous double escape when playing one note per string passages.

Thanks Tom - really appreciate your insights.

I don’t know if im overthinking your point, but just for my own clarity what is the difference between mixed escape vs continuous double escape ?

The movement is feeling pretty natural so going to continue working with it as my primary movement and working on traversing through all six strings in the ascending direction which is where i have been having trouble. I am feeling sure this is predominately a tracking issue but appreciate your input and reassurance that the movement has potential and i am on the right path.

Cheers.

Generally, in a true DBX form (almost) every stroke ends escaped. In a mixed escape form, most strokes will conform to a single-escape and opposite escapes are achieved as necessary through some secondary motion.

4 Likes