A couple speedy grass licks I wrote to help practice DBX/TWPS and USX - tabs included!

Hey guys! Here’s some runs I worked out to shape up the right hand that are actually pretty usable in a jam context as well - some good ol’ G runs.

DBX/TWPS Lick:

Tab:

This one was totally off the cuff but after listening to it and tabbing it out I realized that there’s a couple sections where you’re switching the escape stroke from an upstroke to a downstroke, (or vice versa) but then the escape strokes stay the same for two strings in a row to let you ease into the pattern a little more and keep things flowing nicely. Not much else to see here, just straight alternate picking for the most part.

USX Lick:

Tab:

This one is a grassed up version of that Yngwie pattern and you’re only ever changing strings via an upstroke or by two consecutive downstrokes - I think Troy mentions Brad Davis in one of the Bluegrass videos and he has a whole book on this kinda thing.

I think I notated everything correctly but it’s very possible I didn’t :joy: give 'em a whirl and see if they help practice these concepts!

On a totally unrelated note I found this Kerry King pick I caught from the man himself at a Slayer concert a couple years ago and it’s become my main bluegrass plectrum - and I find this a lot funnier than I probably should cuz I’m a nerd :rofl:

8 Likes

I might give the first one a shot, I keep meaning to learn stuff on acoustic.

2 Likes

I need to get a better acoustic at some point, think I’ll sell my MIJ strat, never going to use it.
Inspiring bro, gotta get into some bluegrass action! I have a few lick I wrote in my country days, need to get some of that happy action going.

2 Likes

Very cool! :+1: Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Wow your acoustic playing always sounds wonderful!

I’d love to hear a full length tune if you get a chance to record it!

Either way, inspiring stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a gooder - you can really rip through it with straight alternate quite easily! Let me know how it goes :relieved::ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks so much man! As of next week I’m off work indefinitely due to COVID so I can see myself having time for that :joy:

2 Likes