A secret about picking from starting to learn mandolin

Like the title says. I learned a bit about efficient picking from mandolin. My wife got me one for Christmas and I’ve been playing it a lot.

Due to the upside down nature of the instrument compared to guitar I’ve learned I am also terrible at picking on a mandolin.

Good day.

2 Likes

Tell us more :slight_smile:

what do you mean by “upside down”?

1 Like

I think he means tuning the instrument in 5ths (mando) as opposed to 4ths (guitar)
Also that it’s a well known fact Bill Monroe used to practice improvisation while being suspended upside down from the ceiling, so that the blood rushing to his head would prevent him from overthinking his choices.

(not a fact)

3 Likes

@JakeEstner Yes! In preparation for the gift I had studied the Bill Monroe method as many had before me.
I hung from fans and light fixtures in my house. Yet I still overthunk and could not pick.
The rushing blood seemed to have an opposite effect. I was under thinking. I could make Do-Re-Me but on the way down it would be Em-er-od.

3 Likes

I assume he means that a mandolin is tuned G D A E - the lower strings of a guitar “upside down”.

1 Like

in fairness, Em-er-od is the only way to defeat Thanos.

1 Like

Which happens to be a side-effect of being tuned in 5ths. The perfect fifth above a given note is a perfect fourth below that note’s octave. Incidentally, that octave math always adds up to nine (with major and minor complimenting each other, so e.g. major 3 plus minor 6 also sums to an octave).

1 Like

Some of y’all do not have a sense of humor. Other than
@JakeEstner
@tommo
It’s a joke. We all know what tuning a goddamn mandolin is in. Jesus. Buy in and have some fun. Make a joke at my expense.

Was @JakeEstner’s upside-down Bill Monroe quip not a joke? If there’s a lack of sense of humor here, I’m not seeing it. But then again I’m well into the dad-joke phase of my life so my standards are getting lower by the month!

2 Likes