Abnormal Finger shape and pick grip

Hi all I’m new here. Been studying the pickslanting primer for a couple of weeks now and my main problem is garage spikes. In fact it has been for years. No standard pick grip was helping at all, I’ve tried literally every index finger grip but I couldn’t get any comfortable grip which wasn’t hitting garage spikes.

As you can see in the photo below, I have an abnormal bend in my index finger towards my middle finger on both hands

, this is apparently called clinodactyly. I’ve just found out it exists and is very common affecting 10% of the population to some extent. Obviously a curved finger will affect your picking angle and it seems it makes it very difficult to orientate a pick as well as uncomfortable to press on the joint.

Fortunately the solution is easy and through the tools given to me via this site I have analyzed and found it, a thumb middle finger grip! (It sounds so easy now) The rest of my fingers are straight. A 1,3 grip works for me and has massively improved my picking instantly.

I put this post up as there will be some of you who are stuck in a rut trying to improve and sometimes you really do need to look into niche areas!

Glad you found what works for you. I never really thought much about my fingers but mine are crooked like that, even more so in my pinky’s. I saw MAB had similar fingers. It’s never affected my picking that I’m aware of.

Same here. My index fingers are even more curved, never been a problem.

Glad to hear you were able to solve your picking problem!

However, my index fingers are bent too, and I have to say that I don’t really see it affecting my grip at all. Perhaps there was some other problem at play here?

I’m sorry, but I don’t see why it’s obvious!

I also wonder if guitar playing itself created a bend in the index finger over time…
Glad you found a solution, but as others have pointed out, it might have nothing to do with the curve - you may just have found what works best for you!!

Its a good point abput explorations in all areas.

Videos like the below show how we can adapt to even the most severe situations!

Wow one handed shredding! That is an amazing adaptation.

Maybe you are all right. Possibly having the pick nearer the centre of my hand is amending my picking angle. I have curved index fingers on both hands so I don’t think it’s specifically from playing guitar :grin:.