Adapting twps to play dwps licks

Concluded that downward pickslanting is uncomfortable for me at high speeds,I think that might be because I don’t like anchoring right hand fingers on the guitar body…So I turned back to what is natural to me : upward pickslanting and minimal two way pickslanting(changing pick angle downwards only when changing strings and quickly restoring back to upward pickslanting like that of Vinnie Moore)…
Is there any disadvantages in the long run about not having downward pickslanting.?
Can I play dwps even numbered passages using two way pickslanting starting on an upward pickslant?

2 Likes

So, I’ve found myself doing this - I’m still trying to work out how my mechanic really fits together, but at this point I’m reasonably sure that I go between a crosspicking and a two-way technique with a primary upstroke escape.

With that in mind, I think one of the reasons the Yngwie 6s pattern was initially a little weird for me was that I was probably TWPS it - playing with a downstroke escape, but using a wrist rotation on string changes on upstrokes to lift my pick above the plane of the strings.

It works… and I’m still definitely at a point where my fretting hand is the limiting factor to these sorts of patterns, not my picking hand… But I suppose it’s theoretically a hair less mechanically efficient than just using an upstroke escape in the first place.

Does that matter? Eeeeh… Again, I’ll worry about it if I ever get to the point where I really feel like my picking hand can’t keep up with my fretting hand, and I’m not there yet. :smile: I CAN play this with DWPS just by adding some suppination to my wrist angle, and it does feel a hair smoother for the picking, for whatever that’s worth.

1 Like

You could check @tommo 's thread about ascending troubles. Turns out he is doing just what you are talking about, playing strict even numbered DWPS stuff like the Yngwie sixes with UWPS + the little turn in the wrist for just the string change. And his playing is really amazing!

1 Like

@7th11th Thank you so much for the mention :slight_smile:

However this needs a disclaimer: I find the method above comfortable (for something like the Yngwie 6s, that don’t move too quickly across the strings) only up to 120bpm or so. When I need to push it further I have to change strategy and “simplify the motions”: either start with an upstroke, so it becomes an escaped-downstrokes lick, or change the setup to DWPS.

:grin:

I guess I would call it a day at that speed!

How is your DWPS going by the way? Have you figured out what motion works for you?

1 Like

With a bit of delay… Yeah I also think 120 is plenty speed, and I don’t think I would use anything faster in my own writing.

But sadly I’m a bit crap at writing and some of the players I like to study tend to go a bit faster than that :sweat_smile:

EDIT 1: My DWPS is not too bad these days actually, I think I am using a mix of wrist and forearm but it’s probably best that I try and make a video in my other thread. Also with this setup I find descending lines more comfortable than ascending ones.

EDIT 2: just to stay on topic, I’ll repost this old-ish video. It shows the technique I’d use if you asked me to play the Yngwie 6s as fast as possible: I’d lock into UWPS (escaped downstrokes) and start the sequence on an upstroke

1 Like

Great Playing! Looking forward to your DWPS video.