Adjacent two-note chord picking technique

By this, I just mean playing things like power chords, but playing more across the frett-board. Like playing through an arpegio but playing two notes at a time.

Just wondering what most people use for this. In the past , I would just use finger picking, but I had limitations there. But I am starting to see a lot of potential with cross-picking adjacent two-note chords. It just seems very reliable and flexible. It kinda opens up a whole new sound.

1 Like

Can you be more specific ? tab or something ?

1 Like

Iā€™m not to good with guitar-pro, but something like this:
picking

I would hybrid pick the s*** out of that.

1 Like

Cool idea! Looks very hard though!

Hmm,

not sure what that will sound like :wink:
Do you plan to let the notes ring or stop them after each pair? Might be harder for the left than the right hand then.

I would pluck them with middle an ring finger. lightly palm muted might sound good, but is hard to do when fingerpicking e and b-string. Far apart from shred-territory me thinks :wink:

Thomas

1 Like

By the way, did anyone ever try the caprice 24 by paganini? Thereā€™s a section which is all supposed to be double stops, maybe this technique could be applied to something like that? I recall that the left hand was also a nightmare though.

2 Likes

The German Schauss book ā€œShredding Paganiniā€ lays this out with hybrid picking itā€™s not too bad as itā€™s a slower section.

1 Like

Very good questionā€¦ I almost always want to let the notes ring. Thatā€™s sorta my trademark.

And I agree with everyone here that hyrbrid or finger picking would be a good methodā€¦ but I just donā€™t have the skills to hybrid this with any speed. So that really limits me.

Anyhoo, I am trying to transfer piano songs that I used to play as a kid to guitarā€¦ and these sorta patterns show up a lot. And my weak hybrid skills would usually cause me to ā€˜give upā€™. So I am very encouraged by attempting to use X-picking. I am not quite there yetā€¦ but I think it should be doable.

1 Like

Yes, I love Caprice 24.

The first double-stop just involves octavesā€¦ Its not too fast and can be ā€˜slidā€™ up and down. It sounds really cool on guitar. I think Octaves are underutilized in guitar. A lot of guitarist convert them to single notesā€¦ or use an octave effect. But it makes it too electronic sounding.

Howeverā€¦ the second double-stop portion is probably what you are talking about. It isnā€™t straight up octaves, and is inhumanly tough to do. I just kinda gave up on it in the past. Iā€™ve seen professional level violinists struggle with it.

I found someone who transcribed that part here: Iā€™ve heard this played at much higher speed by Heifitz/Perlman/Leonidas

3 Likes

Look into Scotty Andersonā€™s technique. Scotty has developed a method for alternate picking double stops using the pick and nail of his index finger.

This technique mechanically resembles a DWPS deviation and flexion/extension based crosspicking movement, with a slightly modified hand position to allow the fingernail to strike the higher string almost exactly as the pick strikes the lower string.

I found the movement very awkward for a long time, but Iā€™ve started to make some headway with the technique. Thereā€™s a bit of a knack to it, and my fingernail needs to be maintained at a particular length.

The technique is very versatile and Scotty has taken that basic concept to the extremes and devised more advanced variations, including triple-stop alternate picking and variations involving non-adjacent strings.

If youā€™d like, I can make a short video later demonstrating the basic principle, but be aware that Iā€™m still at a very basic level with this technique.

1 Like

Thanks. I just tried that, and I definitely see potential in it. Basically, I have to use an angled approach (which I normally dont use), and Iā€™m using the index finger as a ā€˜second pickā€™ that moves in the same motion as the pick. It seems to work, and I will definitely experiment with this.

1 Like

Wow, this guy is insane:

The first time I heard Scotty Anderson was like my first time hearing Shawn Lane. I was utterly astonished.

I would absolutely love to see Scotty interviewed for CTC. Those double-stop alternate picking lines are unbelievable. The technique he uses to accomplish those lines is unlike anything weā€™ve seen examined here before. Then thereā€™s the incredibly fluid transitions between his fingerstyle playing and his single-note melody playing.

I believe @Troy did an interview with him in the past. I know that some of the early interviews were conducted differently than theyā€™re conducted now, and there were issues with recordings, etc. If itā€™s in any watchable state, Iā€™d love to see it. If not, I think a follow up interview should be a priority.

Scotty is great and Iā€™m mad to this day that I somehow unplugged the camcorder right when the interview started. We have some truly horrendous SD video shot by another guy who was there, but itā€™s postage stamp quality.

Long story short itā€™s definitely on our list to redo that one with him but itā€™s just an issue of money and time. Either we have to fly him out here or we have to fly out there.

That is some extraordinary playing. And while Iā€™m watching it, I keep thinking about Benny Hill.

1 Like