Advice for my EVH 5150 combo amp

This is my 2nd combo. the first one had issues on day one, but I decided to try another because I like the sound… now a year later and im having the same issues with this particular combo. I’m still under warranty, but I feel I bought a lemon…

Anyone else here own of familiar with the 1 x12 evh combo?

Can anyone make any recommendations for similar tube combo amps in the $1300 price range?

much appeciated

at that price point may be a little tough. perhaps engl screamer, or perhaps a friedman combo.

Does it really have to be a combo? In that price range they really start getting rare.

I need an amp that can be overdiven at low volumes… this EVH has an attenuator .

I’m looking for a great sounding amp for the home, recording. I know a lot of these heads are too loud for my needs.

I things eventually work out with the EVH…

If not, maybe Blackstar?

How are the Marshall combos ?

It’s Marshall. They weren’t made to be driven at low volumes. :smile: It may work at low volumes, but they weren’t made for that application. Nevermind that it sounds little like a 5150/6505 despite E. Van Halen having used both at some point of his career.

Blackstar are much darker sounding amps than either a Marshall or a 5150.

It’s hard to give you hard advice because you’re aiming for amps that really don’t sound much like each other. Let’s at least get this out of the way: do you care about being able to gig with your amp? Would you consider a loadbox (I’m thinking about Two Notes products)?

1 Like

You could get a Peavey 6505 60watt 1x12 for $700 new, and have $600 left over for an attenuator.

If you like Marshall-y, Marshall DSL40CR for $750 or Peavey Classic 30 II 1x12 for $600.

Yeah, check out the Two-Notes Torpedo Captor boxes. Got one for my buddy to use with his 1972 Deluxe and he just loves it.

As for combos in that price range with high gain in mind, I’d be looking at the Boogies.

Thanks a lot for the advice. … I appreciate it.
I like the sound of my EVH , I’m just weighing my options in case things go south. …

The tone of the EVH has great bottom end, attack, dynamics. … I’d like to “smooth out” the tone for leads a bit… any suggestions?
I currently use an digitech multi effects unit in the loop…

“Smooth out”… What could you mean, add some depth with reverb/delay? Well I suppose your multi-effect can do that all too well. Compress a bit more? With a boost in the front it should be possible… Even though I find the Red channel very compressed on its own already. It’s a pretty bright amp so don’t hesitate to turn the knobs and hit values that seemingly don’t make much sense.

1 Like

+1 on the Captor. Got one a complete of weeks ago and loving it so far. One of the best things about it is the versatility, use it for XLR out with cab sim(straight to mixer for example), clean DI signal via trs jack for IR use and straight attenuator.

One thing to know is that the attenuation is not adjustable if your using it as a strict attenuator box betweeen head and cab. It will only attenuate 20db.

And the trs and xlr functions requires power, either through power supply of phantom.

1 Like

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Huge topic though. :slight_smile: I’m fond of some of the Xotic pedals, but any number of pedals would work.

Well, first, what are the issues you’re having? It may be something you can sort out, and keep your current amp.

For $1300, for something that will do 5150-style gain but also can be “smoothed out” for leads… I have a huge bias here, haha, but you might be able to find a used Mesa that will work well, as well as provide you a “smoother” sound.

A Recto would be a natural 5150 alternative, and while finding a combo would be a little tricky, you MIGHT be able to grab an older Dual Recto head, and then find a 2x12 cab secondhand and stay under $1300. Now that the Multi-Watts have been out for a while, prices for the older ones without channel assignable wattage have come down a lot - I’m seeing a ton for $850-900 on Reverb and GC. That’d leave you $400-450 for a cab, which will easily do a Recto 2x12, as well as possibly a 4x12 with a bit of luck.

Other than that… It’s not quite as heavy sounding but the Nomad was an (IMO) underappreciated amp, with a great heavy crunch for Ch. 3 Modern, as well as a smooth, singing lead from Ch 3 Vintage. A DC series amp with the graphic EQ set to a V should give you a pretty killer Metallica-style crunch sound, and can easily be smoothed out, as well. You might even find a Mark-IV combo for $1300 or less - those things are great, too, and set right can be VERY heavy, as well as do smooth lead sounds.

1 Like

BTW, thanks to everyone for their help, I really appreciate it…

The amp started fading out. … gain started getting weaker, deteriorating… I sent the first one back… I was still in the 45 day window at guitar center, so I got another one…

2nd one has played fine, until earlier this week, I noticed the sound dropping out. … I shut off the amp and, I haven’t noticed it since…

I’m under 5yr warranty, I called Fender… if it keeps happening maybe they can send me a new model. … we’ll see…

There is known issue with this one particular line of EVH combos… channels stealing gain fom each other. …

I thought about this http://voodooamps.com/home/Modifications/AMPMODIFICATIONSManufacturePage/EVHMods/EVH5150IIIComboMods/tabid/1296/Default.aspx

Buy since I’m under warranty, going have to see how things work out.