Advice on picking technique

Hey Tommo,

I have been working on the patterns and decided to film the first excercise. After slowing down the video on youtube, it appears as if my downstrokes are not escaping. My upstrokes seem to be escaping :upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

Please help

Thanks and much appreciated

Ryan

1 Like

Thank you very mucho for giving this a shot!

I think the source of the problem is: in this latest video you are not using the same picking motion as in your tremolo video. I think it would be instructive to look at both side by side to see the difference:

Similarly, play the two examples one after another and try to pay attention to how different the two picking motions feel. Your mission is to try to use the same motion as in your tremolo video for the DSX exercises.

Instead of the gradual slow-to-fast approach, you could try to play the exercise directly at your “tremolo speed”. It may be messy at first, don’t worry about that and just go for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I honestly think either one of those could work. With the first one, your using a lot of wrist movement., which honestly in my opinion is isn’t the fastest by itself, and needs a little assistance from a helper. If my eyes don’t deceive me, You do appear to have a very shallow double escape going, which is the hardest part for most people.

The second one, you are using forearm elbow, which is changing your pick trajectory. And turning it into a pure DSX. Most people regardless of what they do will engage forearm when they are trying to play their fastest regardless of what their primary joint movement is.

If you want Fast, Now! Go with the forearm DSX and clean it up later.

If you want to take some time, and prefer the feel of the wrist, choose that and refine it.

It really just depends on expectations and goals.