Allow myself to introduce....myself!

Hi Burr Brown here from England.

Thought I’d introduce myself, been playing on & off for 20 years but seriously for about 8.

Had lessons from 2 teachers who graduated from Mi California.

I had very nearly Cracked the Code already before finding this site but always want to find new things to learn/ new ways to see the fret board, and see how other people do it.

I Learned CAGED triads , then Pentatonics, then horizontally, then discovered relative minor - what a God Send, Then filled in the extra notes and converted to 3 NPS in the 7 positions, then horizontally again, and then realised that all 5 Pentatonics for all 3 Major and Minor chords in a standard Scale/Mode ( for want of a quicker description) exist within the parent scale (in the order of CAGED).

I think it’s best to visualise the fret board in as many ways as you can/need to give you more options, eventually it all starts blending into one.

I learned all the Scale patterns (pentatonics or otherwise) by simply jamming to a backing track in whatever key ( Say G Major) and built up the patterns over 2 weeks or so for an hour a night - guess what, this is actually fun! - Had to drum it in for about 3 months in total.

Technique - getting there at last!

Thanks BB

2 Likes

Welcome, this is the best place to become an International Man of Pickery

2 Likes

Sorry I saw this earlier but forgot to comment. Welcome to the forum, good to have you here! If there’s anything we can help you find, give feedback on etc. definitely let us know :slight_smile: