Alternate Picking Rhythm Same Guidelines as Strumming?

Hi all,

Just wondering if the guidelines for alternate picking are the same for strumming… for example:

If you are strumming a 16 note pattern that goes:

| play chord | rest | play chord | play chord| (so sixteenth, sixteenth rest, sixteenth, sixteenth) every lesson I’ve seen would advise that you keep your strumming hand moving even on the rest, so: down; up (nothing sounded); down; up

My question is would you do the same for a sixteenth note single string pattern?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey, welcome and thanks for posting! Sorry we missed this one earlier. Want to perhaps share a specific example to more clearly illustrate what you’re asking?

Sure thing… what picking pattern would be best for the following (all on the same string):

1 Like

Use both. They’ll sound a little different. The first one will allow you to go faster (by reversing the picking pattern every section repetition) but the second one may allow you to hit with more power. Different tools for different jobs.

1 Like

Perhaps one way to decide is where the pick ends up after each sequence and if the L (leftmost) or R approach is better for your “pick scheduling.” For example, a DWPS player would end up free on L and trapped on R, but R might be good for sweeping, etc.

I guess that I am saying that “HO/PO” is one “escape hatch” from DWPS constraints, but another is “picking or not picking” a rest note.

Based on the rhythm it would be Down Down Up since your missing the e of 1 e an da and would play it DUDU if it was not but your strumming hand should play or ghost the unplayed chord strum to maintain the rhythm. To Practice I would suggest to play the 4 16th notes then play with the one missing so you get a feel for it. You can also very where the missing 16th note is as well the one above is a gallop rhythm you could do a reverse gallop meaning 2 sixteenths followed by and 8th or the 16th followed by an 8th then another 16th