Alternate picking technique for double\triple\quadruple stops

Has anyone discussed in the forums or any of the materials techniques for rapid alternate picking on multiple strings simultaneously? Like tremolo picked double or triple stops? Or even 4 or 5 strings chords? I’m an UWPS guy and I find it awkward. I have no problem tremolo picking single notes. I saw the metal downpicking thread, which was interesting, and I would think this topic would be for some people also.

I see Joscho doing it with the extreme DWPS gypsy style, sorta Django style, and I’ve been clumsily investigating that but I’m wondering about alternatives as that’s totally foreign to me as an UWPS guy.

Thanks! Really enjoying this community and trove of information.

3 Likes

I know that stylistically this is reasonably common in mandolin playing - perhaps look up some mandolin instructional videos? Funk strumming tutorials might also help - muting the non-ringing strings, how to relax the hand to strum/pick, etc.

1 Like

Very interested in this as well - I’m all ears :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Scotty Anderson has a method of double-stop alternate picking involving a pick or thumb pick and the nail of the index finger. The movement is approximately an Albert Lee style crosspicking movement based on wrist deviation and flexion/extension from a typical DWPS setup.

I’ve developed some familiarity with the technique for double-stop lines. Scotty can extend the method for triple-stops. He can also use this idea of combining alternating strokes with the pick and multiple fingernails to simultaneously alternate pick 4-string chords.

1 Like
1 Like