Am I crosspicking or string hopping?!? Please help!

Hey guys
I’m very new to the world of crosspicking and I’m struggling to understand if I’m doing it right. I’m currently studying the Crosspicking With The Wrist Episode of Talking The Code but I don’t know if I’ve quite cracked the motion yet.

Am I crosspicking or string hopping? Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Hey, welcome and great filming! Do you have the normal speed version as well? What tempo was this?

1 Like

Here is 140bpm quavers at normal speed

Here is the same 140bpm quavers in slow Mo :slight_smile: I have no idea what has happened to the audio on the slowed down take…

Honestly, at that speed it’s kind of hard to tell one way or the other. Can you record yourself playing this at double this speed? 140bpm sixteenth notes? Sloppy is totally fine, just as long as you can actually do the motion at that speed while staying relaxed. If you feel like you can’t stay relaxed at that speed or you just simply can’t perform the motion that fast, then the motion is probably not quite right.

1 Like

Just tried. I tense up a fair bit and it’s far beyond sloppy :joy: The motion might not be quite right…

The first step is to practice slowly to get the the pattern consistent. Know the pattern in your head first, and make sure it’s right.

By the up/downstrokes, it looks like when you start (low) with downstroke and follow it with an upstroke, you are hopping.