Amps....Fender GT40.....thoughts or comments, anyone?e

Bought a Fender GT40 earlier this year with my tax money. Originally i set out to buy a tube amp. Got talked into this instead. Just watched an amp review with GT40 vs. Katana-Boss. Finding it hard to swallow LOL. Perhaps I’m over thinking it. Anyone with any opinions on this amp, the Fender GT40? I mean, many presets, access to presets, decent pedal option. But finding the tones and overall sound to b boxy or just…i don’t know…there! Have the Mustang ver. 1.2 and so far, i can tweak a better( less, compressed-like, boxy)metal sound and tone on it, than i can on the more expensive future of itself- the GT40.

Given price point, utility…? Yes, you probably are. :wink:

The GT40 emulates a mic’d amp, no? Does the Mustang do well with your mp3 player?

I hear ya! I looked at the Katana, GT40, Vox, and Marshall Code before picking up the Yamaha THR10X last year. All of them are great but to me were basically the same but with slightly different features with lots of presets and tone options. It comes down to personal taste. You’d probably have the same issue with any of them because they’re all hard to dial in a sound so don’t worry about it.

I was very close to getting the GT40 because it had built in effects and a looper. Only picked the THR because I wanted a practice amp small enough to fit on my desk and it looked cool :sunglasses:. The sucky thing is that you have to connect the THR to your computer for access to all the features to get a good sound.

1 Like

I sold my amps and pedals and just use the GT-1000 and a Roland Cube Monitor. Like you say, it’s hard to get a good tone from an amp sometimes but, with an amp modeller, you have so many options plus you have micing options and the ability to change cabs and load IRs. I’m done with amps and pedals.

1 Like

Actually, I’m not 100% sure on that. I’m sure u can find many options of presets that would emulate a mic’d amp, but I’m pretty sure the amp itself is just a model amp. It does work well with an mp3 player tho. Actually quite well. That’s one thing i do find very refreshing about it LOL. U can plug right into the aux input or just use bluetooth. Hell, i turn the amp and my phone up all the way and use the amp as an alarm clock to wake up in the morning :joy:. U can stream media or music or even adjust the presets all using Bluetooth with ur phone. That parts not bad i think. They did screw up by using 2 /6.5" speakers i think. It was supposed to b for the stereo option, but being right next to each other, it still sounds exactly the same. They should’ve made it to where u could detach the speakers and set them further apart so u could really get the experience.

[/quote]
I hear ya! I looked at the Katana, GT40, Vox, and Marshall Code before picking up the Yamaha THR10X last year. All of them are great but to me were basically the same but with slightly different features with lots of presets and tone options. It comes down to personal taste. You’d probably have the same issue with any of them because they’re all hard to dial in a sound so don’t worry about it.

I was very close to getting the GT40 because it had built in effects and a looper. Only picked the THR because I wanted a practice amp small enough to fit on my desk and it looked cool :sunglasses:. The sucky thing is that you have to connect the THR to your computer for access to all the features to get a good sound.
[/quote]

I’m glad to hear that they’re all basically the same. it bugs me whether I at least got a decent deal or not. Or at least what all I would need to be able to play with different options. At the same time pisses me off too LOL. Really wanted the genuine sound of a tube amp. but at the same time I knew that I would need to buy mini pedals to either experiment with sound or find what I wanted. so that was kind of the idea of getting the GT40. Have it all for one low price. LOL salesman talked me into it. Truthfully though oh, the GT40 is basically just like that. In order to get it really really good sound you would need to be able to have Wi-Fi. I mean they got some good presets on there and you can tweak them, but it’s not everything. So I wouldn’t feel too bad about that LOL. Kind of wish I had a for that THR, that sounds like something I would rather have than the GT40 LOL.

That sounds like what I was originally looking for when I set out to get so:smile:mething that had it all so I could not spend all my money buying pedals and effects and stop Boxes Etc LOL. But at the same time I’ve played on digital amps for so long I forgot what a real tube sounds like​:joy:. but lately that is all I’ve been hearing about. I’ve been watching videos on comparisons with the Kemper profiler and others versus tube amps. I mean there are some very subtle differences and on other sounds there’s some major ones. But I’m not going to lie, I would give anything to have a Kemper profiler or something like that LOL. But as it is, if all of us guitarists were some form of military LOL, I would more than likely be considered the bottom ranking private of all of you LOL, if most of the rank was decided by the gear we had LOL. the GT40 is the most expensive amp I’ve ever owned LOL. And my most expensive guitar I traded off like a dumbass for something that was probably a quarter of its real worth.:joy:. but in the end I decided to just suck it up and keep on playing with whatever I could get my hands on.