Anchoring problem while wrist picking on low E

Hi everyone!
I’ve recently joined this community. I learned that I am a string hopper, and changed my pick grip to trigger, and focus on wrist picking. I can play fast tremolo with upward escape.
However I feel lack on anchoring while playing the low E, my palm lifts up from the guitar.
When I play higher strings I am anchored well, with my palm, next to the beginning of the strings like the video says. This leads to shoulder pain and lack of support.
Any suggestions?

1 Like

Yes! Post a clip showing the issues. It’s just guesswork otherwise and not going to be helpful. We like to start with the tremolo so we can be sure the motion is working as it should. If you want to try it on different strings to highlight the issue, that’s fine too.

Hi I recently got these shots in. I was told this is DSX wrist - elbow motion. which was a complete surprise to me! I was sure I was using Upward escape with my downward pickslant.

Https:youtube

I’m watching this post with interest.

I’ve had the same problem for years, just can’t coordinate fast picking on the low E because of anchoring, seems like my hand is floating and therefore hard to get a consistent motion going.

If I palm mute it’s easier but still not natural.

My picking motion is similar to yours, I always thought I was more USX but lately I wonder if I’m actually DSX as that seems more natural.

I was thinking about asking for advice on CtC so eager to see the outcome of this.

I just found out I use downward pick escape. That changes EVERYTHING now I can play freely and things seem much easier. I don’t have to worry about my pick slanting up. It might slant but it doesn’t have to. Which makes it easier to anchor my palm while playing the 6th string.

link to this discussion: New here with Videos to critic