And now for something completely different

I don’t know if this guy has already been posted here or if there’s anyone else with a similar technique but I thought it was intriguing enough to be worthy of your scrutiny. Certainly different from anything I’ve seen before…but someone will probably tell me otherwise :wink:

It’s kind of close to MAB but with more finger movement.

Ah…I should have mentioned…no acronyms please :roll_eyes:
I’m not a regular here so all these DWXP UXRZ, etc…lose me completely!
(there should be a glossary for these somewhere!)

Hmmm, not to me. MAB (Michael Angelo Batio, @chumbo ) has visible arm movement the entire time. Other than some parts where this guy does wrist based stuff, it looks like his entire mechanic is finger movement which is unusual. Even the ones with a lot of visible finger movement --Joe Stump, Yngwie and even some of your awesome (!) clips, @Fossegrim :slight_smile: – have another part of the hand that’s doing work along with the fingers. This looks so isolated. What is it about his technique that makes you think of MAB?

There is! Not the easiest to find but it is here.

More his hand position than anything else. I agree completely with the rest of your assessment.

On another note, I honestly don’t think I’ve incorporate finger movement for a while now. I’ll have to look at my self again. I think I did it mostly for alternate picking but more so as just a little bit of extra fuel not the whole basis of my picking strategy like this guy does, although I’m betting he has more in there too.

Looks like pure finger movement for single-string stuff, wrist for changing strings.

I see. Yeah his ring/pink anchor on the body is definitely MAB reminiscent.

There was some clip you posted with some economy picking that I thought had finger movement. I just remember seeing it and thinking “wow looks like Joe Stump. Cool!” Possible I’m mis-remembering. I’ll never complain about having paying work but most of this year I’ve been working 7 days a week. My brain is mush.

Yeah, likely, and you remember correctly, I did use that. I think more recently though I don’t, and I’m not sure what changed. Although it’s possible it’s still there and I’ve just turned it off mentally. I’ll have to look.

For the record I was one of Joe Stump’s students.

Yep I certainly remember you saying that :slight_smile:

I have some pretty funny stories. He used to have all these morose words to live by.

1 Like