Andre Nieri's incredible technique

Continuing the discussion from “Another Day” solo:

I was browsing through Youtube and Andre Nieri’s cover of the Another Day solo came up as a recommendation. I rewatched it and remembered I saw it here first so I figured it would be cool to chat about him.

His version of Another Day solo was one of the best covers I have ever seen. The way he finger picks the arpeggios (which you could swear were sweep picked) and his tone, which isnt as gained up as Petrucci’s on the original, is very expressive. The sax solo is a nice touch too.

I think it’s the best solo cover I’ve ever seen on YouTube. He took it to another level, with respect on the original and incredible taste at the same time.

My opinion is that it’s more important to find your sound/touch than trying to play something note for note, this case is a very good example of this.

2 Likes

Yes it’s remarkable and I agree. 100% with what you’re saying.

I like how he’s used different techniques to enable him to play parts that he maybe couldn’t play up to speed if he were to use alternate.

This was the first tune I heard of Andre’s and the way he mixed classical and electric really caught my ear. Great solo too.

I’ll just drop this here…

Absolutely incredible playing and technique.

5 Likes

Anyone seen a video where he discusses how he tucks the pick away? It looks like he has almost complete finger independence after doing that, and he can do it quite fast!

1 Like

I’m sure it’s all down to that Suhr being very easy to play… :rofl:

Damn!

Very cool integration of picking & finger techniques. He and Matteo Mancuso should have a jam :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Been following him since his Bogner demos years ago. Brazil has some seriously talented players. Andre is really incredible.

His fingerstyle is really impressive!

Videos like these make me keep going back to trying the thumb pick but it just hasn’t fully clicked yet lol

1 Like

Good lord this guy is the very impressive.

one thing ive noticed from the limited videos I have seen of this player and Matteo Mancuso (correct me if Im wrong), but when using the the fingers to attack the strings instead of the guitar pick, is it mostly just hitting the string once and then following with hammer ons/pull offs/ legato? Or are these guys doing like 3NPS and attacking the string three times with their fingers?

From what I understand Matteo does alternate picking and sweeping pick runs all with his fingers. Matteo does upwards and downwards sweep ideas.

Andre appears to attack the string once and then legato, and he also does mostly ascending sweep picking style runs too.

1 Like

Andre sounds amazing!

CtC has taught me many things, among them:

• 1nps is a pain in the butt
  • 2nps is a solved problem (2, 4, etc.)
  • 3nps is a solved problem (3, 5, etc.)

If I understand, fingers can solve many 1nps pain points in a very natural way, so it really makes sense to develop such skills. I also note that fingers are fantastic for chords given that all of the strings can be struck at once should one want that sound.

I remain perplexed, however, by Andre’s management of the pick… what magic is that?! Where does it go? :thinking:

3 Likes

hahaha, I have no idea how he’s doing it!! He has perfected hiding it and making it reappear.

Here is another video with a decent camera angle…

1 Like

I think if you go to fingerpickingchallege.com or something like that and sign up for his free 5 lesson seminar that took place back in November, you should still get access to a few YouTube videos. In the first video he explains how he transfers the pick to and from his pinky, it’s not hard, just precise and would need practice.

https://pages.andrenieri.com/finger-revolution-2/

Also some good fingerpicking to regular picking here

In this video he seems to backward sweep via a raking his finger back against the strings…

1 Like

Found this video on Youtube:

Unfortuantely it’s only in Portugese, but maybe someone could translate it to us :smiley:.
Either way you get a good camera view and can actually see where he holds his pick when playing fingerstyle.

1 Like

thank you, great video, I hadn’t seen this one :open_mouth:

He demonstrates it here too -

2 Likes