Andy James Esque DSX Lick Recommendations

Hey Guys. I am currently working on my DSX and DBX picking since my main natural movement is a wrist deviation USX motion with a moderately supinated Arm and wrist position.

I followed Andy since the old Lick Library Times and learned the songs in his Custom Metal Series Vol1 12 Years ago when my speed was at its peak. Now trying to get back at it with better understanding of what’s going on and I will post a couple of technique critiques at the end of the the Month after using cracking the code for 4-6 Weeks to keep you updated.

I love his musical style and especially his licks that are not just boring consecutive note scales up and down like Malmsteen or Gilbert Sixes and wanted to know if you have cool DSX strict picking licks in hist style ore even can refer to songs from him to learn that you have learned your self that feature nice patterns that are more melodic, feature wider intervals, arpeggios, stretch pentatonics etc, that are not just 2 notes per string started with an upstroke.

This here is a lick I wrote for practicing. It works mainly here by using 7th and 9th arpeggios in groups of 5 and then filling the space with a 6 note grouping

1 Like

This second lick here from his song Breaking Thru is typical Andy James DSX where he uses 3+5 Notes per string and loops the lick on the second string to avoid an USX

1 Like

I dabble in the 3 plus 5 sequence I was messing around with ways to get my DSX to work across strings and came upon that same sequence. I’ll also do 5 plus 3 then 3 plus 5. Glad to see AJ uses it to. Least I know it wasn’t garbage when I hit upon it. The cool thing is if you want you can position shift on the second 5 to get a few different notes as well.

@Aquarian_Savage have you gone through the new seminar that’s basically 100% DSX? There are dozens of tasty licks and patterns in there

That’s an awesome lick!!!

1 Like

Yes and I found two I really liked and built into my practice

I wrote another 3, some of which involve small economy sections that felt just natural with the slight upward pick slant

1 Like

Any Andy James Fan here that already put in the work, learned and analyzed some of his catalog?