Andy Wood clip - and more Andy on the way

Great clip from the the all-acoustic mando vs. guitar interview we did with the always incomparable Andy Wood:

It’s an awesome interview overall, and affords a very good look at Andy’s various mechanics on both instruments, as well as sage thoughts from him on how he learned all this stuff. This interview is coming up next for subscribers - we’re working on the edit now.

15 Likes

Yeahh, looking forward for this one.
I love this picking style, it’s not that out of space as most of the other great players, almost as if anybody could play like this - and at the same time so accurate that you know it’s not true :grin:

1 Like

In my lesson with Rick Graham he talks about exactly what Andy describes here and said that problem solving is the number one thing he attributes to his guitar playing ability.

FYI awesome clip of young Andy on mandolin with his cousin Brian Arrowood, who he still plays with, on fiddle, and his grandfather on rhythm guitar. How does technique evolve over time? Here’s your time machine. Andy’s basic mandolin setup, supinated arm / ulnar wrist offset, appears to be in place already by this point:

5 Likes

Any ballpark idea of when the Andy Wood stuff will be available? Can’t wait!

3 Likes

@cmotes Check the interviews, it’s out now! Watched the majority of it, it’s really good!

1 Like

Indeed we’ve soft-launched the interview itself, on the site here: Andy Wood Acoustic – Cracking the Code

And we’re aiming to get the rest out within the next week or so! Mostly done but tons of musical examples to get uploaded to the platform :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I watched it a couple days ago.! Amazing interview, I especially liked the part where you guys broke went into detail about the technical aspects. How he holds the pick (what part of the finger, what the other free fingers are doing), Hand and Arm position, how he adjusts edge picking, etc. Overal a great interview, can’t wait for the tabs to learn some Bluegrass standards on guitar!

1 Like