“Another Day” solo

Cool, I’m in a similar ballpark speed-wise, but trying to 2WPS - it is so hard to crack the last 20bpm! Lol

Good luck!!! I’m sure you will get their pretty soon- don’t forget to post a vid or two to show the progress!

Yep, when it’s all ready to go I’ll put something up.

I think when I first heard about swiping I thought it was cheating and was trying everything with 2WPS. I couldn’t really get the swiping working using my UWPS, so I sort of gave up. When I started trying to get decent at DWPS I re-visited swiping and one day it just clicked. I couldn’t hear it or feel it, so I knew I was on the right track. It’s now my go-to for these ascending 6’s. Let me know how the 2WPS goes!

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely swipe some for sure - not by design, but I’m less bothered by it. If it sounds good, it is good.

1 Like

If you asked me to play this solo live, due to the high speed I would totally cheat and replace the fast ascending lick with something DSX-only :slight_smile:

The target tone is 95% of the lick in my opinion!

1 Like

It’s pretty fast!! I think that’s where my obsession with this lick started. Out the stuff I was listening to back then, I’m pretty sure this was the fastest alternate picked run I’d ever heard at that point. And the way he used it to build up tension to that high note is just…wow. Beautiful!

1 Like

Which fast run do you mean?

1 Like

The ONLY fast run lol! Should be queued up:

There was a pretty lengthy discussion about it here:

2 Likes

It doesn’t look challening, at first I was thinking about the descending lick at the end, that sounds difficult to me.

Oh I’m sure you could play the run I’m talking about without issue. I’m a different story :slight_smile: I’m nowhere near your speeds.

Funny, for me the descending thing at the end with the big intervallic leaps was always a piece of cake. I think I played that like this, just DSX economy, since the slides give plenty of time hop over to the high E string

-----21-------19-------16-------|
--19----19\17----17\14----14\12-| etc
  D   U  U     U  U     U  U
1 Like

BTW @gabrielthorn if you give it a try (the fast ascending 6’s), let me know how you make out. There are places where it’s not very nice for pure DSX. After you play the initial 2 groups of 6’s and cross from the G to the B string, you’ll be trapped so you either need a helper motion or…USX and swiping all the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Swiping all the way :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Ha! Nice! I can’t see your picking hand, how are you getting to your final sextuplet?

I get how you MAB swipe the stuff on the D/G strings. You’d have to swipe an inside string change where I’ve circled though (or use some sort of helper motion to get over it without hopping)

That’s where I’m swiping through, exactly. However, I’m NOT swiping on upstroke changes when I go to lower strings.

I only swipe when I’m ascending.

Huh. That is different than my understanding of the way Troy explains swiping. I always thought they were for ‘outside’ string changes and didn’t work on the ‘inside’ string changes. But hey, I can’t argue with the results :slight_smile: You sound great!

1 Like

For me it’s the opposite. I always swipe on ascending runs, when I’m trapped between two strings. I always use forearm rotation when doing descending runs and I play any upstroke on the higher string.

Cool. Academic question - can you feel this at all? When I swipe outside string changes, I can’t really feel it. When I swipe the inside string changes, it feels a little sticky to me. It could just be that I’m not used to it though!

There was someone interviewed, who’s name escapes me now, who swiped all string changes, so it can work for sure

Probably Strunz. I think he’s the only person Troy’s interviewed who plays ‘trapped’ almost always.

Yes I think you are right. I think it was down to his grip and arm setup that allowed swiping both ways, but I’m not certain, I haven’t watched it in a long time

It depends on the tempo. The faster it is, the less I feel it. Maybe I swipe sometimes on outside changes, I’ll make a note if I notice myself doing so :smiley:

Here is a closer look at the picking hand:

3 Likes