Another Houstonian, possibly the oldest member here. ;-)

Played professionally most of my life, some of it locally while holding down days jobs. Alternate picking, in general has NEVER been explained adequately to me, even by fellow teachers, until now. Some of the in-depth analysis of what happens in the hand and arm…mind blown. Great job at reverse engineering some of the ‘savants’ out there with the close-up videos of the right hand! Anyway, at 62, I’m finally getting a grasp on my picking technique, and improving quicker than i ever thought.

8 Likes

I’m 45 and I’m really only now beginning to get a real understanding of picking mechanics…largely through a friend who has really opened my eyes, but also a great deal from the Cracking The Code team and platforms. There have been a lot of guitar players and teachers in Houston that I’ve been aware of since 1986 and no one has really approached the level of study that we have now…and we are proof that one is indeed never too old to learn!

4 Likes

Glad to hear it!

I’m older than you, and there I things I can play now that I couldn’t touch two years ago. On average, it seems about once every ten years I learn a completely new set of skills. It’s clear to me now that age-related changes in ability have never been the primary obstacle to guitar skill acquisition. It was always just lack of good information on how things are done. No question it’s a big complicated problem. But if you can learn to surf or drive stick at any age, you can definitely learn guitar picking!

8 Likes

Absolutely, positively correct!

2 Likes

Rocking 49 here. Welcome. \m/ \m/

2 Likes