Antonio Malmsteen

…is a trailing edge double escape wrist player:

You can have one of the most guitar-famous dads of all time, with one of the most copied techniques of all time, and sometimes the simplest approach is still “do whatever” until something works, then keep doing that thing!

7 Likes

YEAAAAHHH!! lol Awesome! Good player! (I guess his dad is OK, too eh? hahaha)

1 Like

Evh and Wolfgang are different too. I wonder why.

This is an interesting video too

1 Like

I think it’s because even though the fathers had a lot of influence, they probably really only cared about the end result; ie how do the notes sound? Actually led to them being individual not just in their sonic output, but execution as well. Plus, we’re all a bit different from each other, even if we’re related so that comes with certain tendencies and proclivities I’d wager…

Just my opinion, I could be dead wrong… :grinning:

1 Like

Yngwie even says that here

I wouldn’t be surprised if he told his son the same, if it sound good to you, its good.

1 Like

It’s so true though, right? If it sounds good it IS good.

1 Like

It is music after all lol

1 Like

I saw an interview where Wolfgang remarks about how comically pointless it was to try to take lessons from his dad. Paraphrasing: “He’d sit in front of me with his guitar and say: ‘just do this’, and then proceed to, you know, be Edward Van Halen.”

4 Likes

Lol I know the one on Howard stern.

I thinkk most people who learnt from a young age have a hard time teaching, as they never thought about it hard, we don’t think much as kids.

1 Like

I love Mike Tyson, he is both a philosopher and a thug, in one package.

1 Like

Me too, Apparently his experience with phycadelics is part of the reason he cooled down after losing Cus.
And I think thats a great way to be, so many times we’re unsure of ourselves, we lack that animal we all have tried to control to be civil, but there is a balance. You have to believe in yourself.

Well said!

I’m delighted that the apple didn’t fall far from the tree regarding strap, guitar, and amplifier selection, however.

Killer! I’ll have to check out more of his playing. I didn’t actually Malmsteen had a son. Very cool to see a very different mechanical approach to his old man!

The simplest answer is probably the fact that they also have mothers; it’s not like the kids are clones of the fathers, you have to factor the mothers’ as well.

Are you sure? I’ve never heard of this?! When did that happen?

1 Like

Using “dart thrower” mechanics.