Any AmpliTube experts around here? (I am getting loads of noise!)

All these amp simulators seem very promising, but I think I suck at using them!

I am currently trying the demo version of AmpliTube custom shop, and I want to understand how to make it work properly before investing in things like the Fender or MesaBoogie amp collections (all costing around $150).

At the moment I get really a lot of noise as soon as I crank up the gain and / or turn on the in-software overdrive pedal. I typically use a Strat or a Chapman ML1 plugged into a Behringer UMC22 or a Focusrite 2i4 interface. If anyone else encountered similar issues and solved them, fire away please :slight_smile:

Also, suggestions on how to get some good tones are well accepted! Nothing fancy, I’d be happy with generic metal / rock rhythm and lead sounds (and some nice clean jazzy tones, why not!).

Thanks!

I don’t know anything about AmpliTube but I mostly use amp simulators so I might be able to help you here.
If you are using strat with single coil pick ups you should know that they create a LOT of noise with high gain sounds. Double coil pickups (Humbackers) eliminate most of the problem but even with them when using high gain amps and you crank up the gain you will usually get some noise anyway. My advice on this is:
i) use humbackers if available :slight_smile:
ii) dont use too much gain because it also makes the sound not tight
iii) use a noise suppressor in the chain after the amp

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Could it be some to do with electric interference in the room? Are there any lights on or anything like that? If you could try your setup in another room this might be worth a try also.

1 Like

Hi @tommo ,

I used the Amplitube demo for a while. I think that as @aliendough mentioned, the noise suppressor would help a lot. But I also found that the noise suppressor makes me lose a lot in terms of playing dynamics and it was a nightmare to me when trying to sustain notes. I guess you need to play with it until you find a good setting.

I think Pixxy Lixx is exclusively using amp simulators in his Youtube channel demos. And he is getting some sweet tones. Maybe you should check out his channel. He does a lot of talking, so maybe you should spend some time browsing his videos to find the ones where he explains his setup :smiley:

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you all, this is a great start! I should clarify some points:

• Even though it’s true that single coils are much more noisy, I don’t get nearly as much noise when I use the Line6 pocket Pod amp simulator, and this is true even when I turn the gain up to bananas levels:

I think the problem I have goes beyond the typical issues of single coils, I also forgot to mention that I tried a squier strat with an humbucker and the noise level was similar.

• I have precisely the same problem as @kounistou with the noise gate

• I am happy to try other amp sims if you people have good suggestions… especially ife they are cheaper :sunglasses:

I definitely recommend checking out Revalver 4. It has really amazing sounds, even some presets are good (one called “The Lead” is simply epic) as well as support for third party IRs and even plugins. It most likely won’t do anything with the noise issue you are having, but you can at least download the demo and see if you like the sounds. It’s by far my favorite amp sim. It’s also less expensive than many others, costs $100.

1 Like

With regards to other amp sims I have a Boss GT 001 which I really like. I have no problem with noise.

1 Like

me too. a BOSS GT-8 with no noise issues.

1 Like

I see, physical units for the win it seems! Then my best option at the moment is to squeeze the most out of my pocket pod, which also gives me no noise issues!

I haven’t used any of these, but there are a lot of free VSTs available to use if you have recording software and an interface.

I’m going to be getting an interface and using a lot of FOSS stuff for recording (Linux laptop) in the near future, maybe I can make some test clips and post them. :slight_smile:

Maybe you should try BIAS. Musician friends are using them and they say its amazing.

1 Like

^ This, I use both Amplitube 3 and BIAS and I much prefer Bias, I can get way better tones out of it.

Sorry I can’t really help with the noise problem, other than the fact I always use a noise gate in my signal chain, but I don’t have to set it that high to cut out the noise.

1 Like

I still don’t understand what people like about BIAS. I guess I was already annoyed with it when every single guitar related youtuber made stupid ads for it, but then I tried it and didn’t like it. There are some good low gain sounds, but almost all the high gain stuff (which is far more important to me) sounds really bad. I think the aggressive marketing is what made BIAS popular, at one point it was completely impossible to avoid it.

EDIT: That being said, it’s still better than Amplitube 3, I don’t remember getting a single usable sound out of that.

Anybody here tried Overloud TH3? I have tried the full version during the free trial period and I have to say I am impressed. What I liked about it is that I didn’t need to play with a lot settings before getting a sound that I like. I’d buy it if I was more into amp sims.

If you have an ipad, you should try using amplitube with you’re audio interface, and just use the noise gate preset, I’ve have the amplitube apps on my devices, and they sound great threw my Rolland cube street x. As for the amplitube on you’re computer, you should check the noise gate preset on you’re computer version of amplitube. Or if you still you have noise coming from you’re

1 Like

This Problem might be due to the audio interface. If it is a regular line-in, it usually has low input impedance. As guitar pickups usually have high output impedance, the signal diminishes a lot when having to feed “high currents” (we are still talking very low mA). Usually the noise does not as much as the signal itself. This means you have to use an audio interface with “instrument input” or an (active) D.I. box in front of it.

Thomas

2 Likes