Any bass pickers here?

Curious to see / hear if y’all use the same technique and picks for bass. I’ve been experimenting with trailing edge using a 1.14 Tortex that’s slightly beveled. I find the tone is much better than my “regular” picking technique and pick I use for guitar.

1 Like

Concerning the technique, I cant actually say 100% because i play Bass exclusively while standing up and i play guitar exclusively sitting down, which changes some things about my hand and arm position. No idea if i would use identical motions if i d switch but i suspect that the different lines you play on bass just make some things obsolete which make sense on the guitar. Like an anchorpoint on the bridge isnt that logical, for example.

I still usually play bass with a Downward escape motion, which i can tell from the lines i am able to play best. I also to some tremolo picking stuff on the bass which requires USX but i am not as comfy with that as doing the same thing on guitar.

I am also pretty sure my rythm playing on the bass is a bit more elbow and forarm centered than my guitar playing, which is more of a wrist movement.

Picks:
I used to play the pointy dunlop tortex on both instruments using a 0,7 for guitar and a 1,0 on bass. But then i switched to a jazz3 for guitar, mostly because i am a CtC fanboy. But i cant use small picks on bass, the fingers get in the way. At the moment i prefer a 0,7 dunlop on the bass, but i might switch once i can play bass on louder amps again.

1 Like

I just play bass when I’m recording my own music, but I never sit down to practice bass.
I do however play bass with a forearm/wrist blend USX motion, which is now not how I play guitar (DSX wrist only).
I guess because I am sort of floating more when playing bass, not resting on the bridge as it feels too far back. So when floating like this, it feels a little more similar to strumming motion, only smaller.

1 Like

Correction, there are some more rhythm guitar things that I would do with a forearm wrist blend, but not lead playing.

1 Like

I am a guitar player, but play Bass when writing/recording. I will sometimes play Bass with a pick, and its mostly for speed type rythms over a double bass drum track etc. I use the pick for effect and dont always play Bass with a pick. I use a Dunlop 1.5 mm pick.

1 Like

I’ve adopted trailing edge for bass and love the tone it imparts (similar to fingers IMO) and lets me transfer my picking skills.

It’s funny seeing my previous comments here. Since then I found I was far better at forearm and wrist motion than any other motion, so I use it the majority of the time, on both bass and guitar.

Only real difference is I use a more rounded pick on bass with very little edge picking.