Any help is appreciated

Hello all, long time follower of the CTC, and really enjoying the forum, although this is my first post. Thought I would see what I could do to increase speed and accuracy. Couple things - I’m naturally left handed, so the “common motions” with my right hand don’t apply much to me, as all my small motor functions are with the left hand. I seem to be faster with DSX, but also filmed USX to see if the motion was better. I don’t want to spend time practicing the wrong method.

Pretty sure I have been string hopping most of my life, but trying to get a handle on doing this correctly!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

2 Likes

I think DSX and USX are similar enough that you’re not going to waste time practicing the “wrong” method. Just different angles to strike the string.

You look like you have a pretty good starting point, seems like elbow motion mainly on DSX and wrist on USX. Is that what you feel?

Thanks for the reply! I feel more “comfortable” with the USX, but definitely faster with the DSX. Yes for sure on elbow and wrists. I have no control or speed if I attempt forearm motions.

Really appreciate it!

1 Like

When I was started to work on my picking, eons ago, one of the first things I did when I was take a scale shape and play it chromatically for the entire neck - all the way and up and all they way down, tremolo picking each note 4 times - which takes a while to do - a great work out!

Even number of repeats per note, perfect for DSX or USX

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @dagolfdoc!

These two tremolo motions both look like decent starting points! Definitely faster than an inefficient technique would allow.

Couple of questions (in order of importance :slight_smile: ):

1. are you really going all out? what does it look like if I ask you to do your fastest tremolo?

2. are you intentionally trying to make the picking motion small? I noticed that sometimes you don’t let the notes ring out for very long, because the pick is so close to the string (but this is also the unamplified sound, so I may be hearing this wrong)

3. have you tried applying one or both of these motions to some licks involving the fretting hand, and possibly string changes? what happens when you do that?

@tommo thanks! To answer your questions, no - not going as fast as possible in the video, I will film another, plugged in and do some multi string licks also. I wasn’t “intentionally” trying to make the small motions, but noticed that I do make small motions when I trem pick.

I was at work and had a few minutes with my “beater” guitar and no amp, so just tried to film something quick. I’ll have a little more time this weekend to film something better — if you don’t mind take a look at it and any improvements would be welcome!

I’ve tried the exercises @snake provided and can definitely go faster with DSX, but do notice tension in the picking arm when doing it.

Thanks so much to all who have replied so far!