Any Neo Classical other than Malmsteen?

For the single coil snappy Malmsteen tone, i’d suggest Takayoshi Ohmura. Not 100% neoclassical per se, but has some songs with amazing sections.

Ohmura-san :guitar:

1 Like

Mentioned in another thread, but worth a re-post here: James Byrd. James is very similar to Malmsteen in both tone and style but with a heavier Uli influence and his own Neo-classical licks. Check out Son of Man, Octoglomerate or Crimes of Virtuosity are all representative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95xU04lSRS4 Solo 2:35 - 3:25 and Outro starts at 4:03

Yes, basically every artist on Shrapnel records.

I still defer to Ritchie Blackmore’s playing in the first three versions of Deep Purple. Listen to his solo in “Knocking At Your Back Door” (from Perfect Strangers 1983-84). Then, I also watch all the live stuff too (Double Concerto from 1969, then of course, 1970’s “In Rock” has some intense and very interesting dual guitar parts). His picking technique is really precise and he has the best Strat/Marshall hard rock tone ever! That said, I loved his early ES-335/Vox AC-30 tone even more.

In an interview in Guitar Player magazine in the 70’s he mentioned using strict alternating down/up picking technique and using all four fingers. He also used a classical/flamenco raking technique for wide arpeggios. Way ahead of his time!

1 Like

Vinnie Moore definitely shows a strong Neo classical influence throughout this record:

3 Likes

By the way, I transcribed Michael Romeo’s Guitar Chapter (and all the solos separately) on my channel: Opus123

2 Likes

Luca Turili of Rhapsody (of Fire) is the big one I haven’t seen named. He’s a sweeping champ.

Syu of Galneryus

Hizaki and Teru of Versailles and Jupiter

Stephan Forte of Adagio

Criss Oliva of Savatage (He’s more of the Randy Rhoads or Michael Schenker school of neoclassical)

2 Likes

Hi. If you wish go to this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMROu-A0VY and see the Greek God …Panos Antonio Avonitus…I found. I have found him a lot more interesting than Yngwie… and damn can he rippp

1 Like

The scope has kinda gone wider but it’s all good; was surprised and awed by some of the posts! Some I’ve heard before but it’s all incredible really.

Great player, I heard him a while back, initially, I thought him and Cesario were the same dude :slight_smile: This track you posted @rossgun is basically Pachelbel’s cannon on steroids I think, I like it a lot!

Luca is amazing! That first track was very cool! Thanks :hugs:

Thanks brother, I’ll be visiting your transcription, I need a new project. :metal:

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for on this thread, Byrd is very close to the Malmsteen sound! Thanks :hugs:

Bill I just discovered Rough Cutt! Had no idea they existed; some great solos on there reminds me a lot of the better songwriter rock bands from the 80s.

Thanks Drew, listening to it now. :metal:

1 Like

Rhapsody’s first six albums are incredibly solid. Big fan of From Chaos to Eternity as well as Luca’s solo projects and the newer Luca led Rhapsody projects especially the reunion with Fabio Lione last year.

1 Like

Wanna point out, he’s actually from Argentina. Walter Giardino is the founder and leader of the Hard Rock band “Rata Blanca”, very popular in said country. I wanna recommend some songs of his: “Preludio Obsesivo”, and “La Danza del Fuego” (this last one from his solo project named “Temple”). These two are neoclassical instrumental songs, filled with great, fast playing and memorable melodies. I have a feeling you guys will like them, specially the latter.

1 Like

This fellow is an absolute beast. Clearly influenced by the likes of Blackmore and Yngwie and with a lot of flair.

Even if your Spanish is rusty I’d add “Mujer amante” and “La leyenda del hada y el mago” for the listening experience.

1 Like

I love the Peer Gynt. Great piece. Even outside of the Hall of the Moutnain king. I think Morning Mood is in that one too. But less used in neo classical. Haha.
There was a band in the 80s called Helstar that had a few albums. One of them was called Nosferatu. It’s the only one I ever bought. I think the first half was about Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Pretty terrible singing but it’s right up the Yngwie alley as far GuitarTuna playing goes.

1 Like

Are you from Greece?

Yes, I currently live in Athens.

1 Like

Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned Chris Impellitteri?

2 Likes

Since this got bumped… This is maybe a bit of a longshot, as his playing is a lot less “metal” tan Yngwie, and isn’t as overtly neoclassical in that same baroque sense. Maybe more in the MAcAlpine vein, except with moodier acoustic- and piano-driven rock accompanienment and a lower gain guitar tone than, well, pretty much anyone else in this thread uses…

…but Nick Johnston is a big Yngwie fan and talks a lot about how a lot of his style came from not knowing how to play Yngwie licks and getting them wrong, as some sort of hybrid pick-and-fingers approach. And his “Remarkably Human” is one of my favorite instrumental albums to come out in the last few years.

This starts off pretty chill, but there are some guitar fireworks in the second half, for sure.

Great example of how to let a composition and arrangemebt breathe, imo, too.

2 Likes