Any one like Gary Moore?

here’s Jason doing a cool version of end of the world.

I always thought Eugene from walking dead looked like Gary lol

1 Like

https://youtu.be/YFEk1s-2hSY?t=39.

Big fan of this one

And the Nightwish cover

2 Likes

I seen him live, over 20 years ago now. Wasn’t too familiar with his material prior to the gig, but it was incredible

1 Like

Man I never knew Nightwish covered it, my mate loves Nightwish. I’ll send him this.

1 Like

I’m jealous man, one of my fave guitarists :slight_smile: Was he doing the blues or some shread still? I know he changed for a long time.

1 Like

Early Gary Moore… is great stuff… His style is the nucleus for so many great players to come…
John Sykes, Viv Campbell, John Norum, etc.

He doesn’t get enough credit. His blues stuff is cool… but his early stuff is awesome…
He goes off the rails at times with speed, but he has some chops… his bending and vibrato … phrasing are legendary.

1 Like

In that regard he’s very much like Michael Schenker. Insanely influential but people outside of guitar circles probably haven’t heard of him.

1 Like

very much agree here. I’m a big schenker fan as well…

maybe Gary went a bit more mainstream in his blues direction

2 Likes

It was very blues but he was doing a lot of fast soloing!

1 Like

Personally I think its a crime the McAuley Schenker Group isn’t one of the better know hair metal era acts.
This is a phenomenal album.

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan of both Gary and Schenker. When I took lessons from Joe Stump at Berklee they were two guys he always name dropped that stuck with me, although it took me some years to come around to them.

Not being from the UK or continental Europe, I can’t speak with any certainty, but it seems like Gary is mentioned in the same breath as Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, EVH, Hendrix etc. over there. He’s always sharing the cover of UK guitar magazines with those guys whenever they have a special on “top guitarists of all time” or whatnot. I even recall seeing an interview clip with George Harrison where he says Gary is his favorite guitar player. I think that speaks to how broad his appeal is.

2 Likes

The solos on Shape of Things to Come and Murder in the Skies are amazing. Definitely underrated.

Some may not be aware but before his “metal” era he was in an awesome prog fusionish band, Colosseum II
Here’s him live in '78. Yes, that is Don Airey on keys

2 Likes