Any songs at +250 bpm?

Hi!

I guess a lot of you is experimenting with the RDT motion at the moment, and so am I. I was wondering if you had any tips on actual songs to use for practice in the +250 bpm range (16th note) or eqivilant speed in other subdivisions?

My only contribution would be Hos Down by Jason Richardson whereas the intro lick is at 125bpm 32th notes, but it also requires a lot of left hand coordination aswell.

Edit: Also realized that you can take through the fire and flames and put it on 1.25% speed on youtube xD

It’s just tremolo picking rhythms for the most part, but anything from Fleshgod Apocalypse from the last 12 years fits this. The Violation is 270bpm 16ths, and the end of The Egoism on that same record ends at 300bpm 16ths.

1 Like

Gave that a listen, wow, it’s so fast that it doesn’t even feel fast anymore. The drums sound fast, but I feel like once distorted guitar gets over, say, 270 bpm, it just becomes a blurred vibration, especially with lower notes, like audio-wise you’ve circled back to just letting a single note ring out.

1 Like

These two songs are somewhere around 250 bpm
Nile - Cast Down the Heretic
Diabolic - From the Astral Plane
And this one is around 260 bpm
Nile - Churning The Maelstrom

But those riffs would require palm muted USX starting with a downstroke. Is it even possible to do that with RDT? I say ‘starting with a downstroke’ because, prove me wrong, but palm muted chords played directly after an even number of alternate picked notes (which is common in death metal) need to be a downstroke, because you can’t really get a decent tone on an upstroked palm muted chord, especially on thick down tuned strings (Nile tunes Drop A) and especially if it’s a succession of palm muted 8th note chords.

1 Like

The real tempo is probably not >250bpm, but there is some absurdly fast trem picking in there.

1 Like

I would guess lots of extreme metal / hardcore / aggressive music has trem picking at that speed (whether it’s on time or not is a different issue).

Probably trem pick your favorite black metal?

1 Like

I combed through 3000+ tabs in Guitar Pro’s preview window to find 250+ BPM songs, then narrowed it down to the ones that had 16th notes in them and got a grand total of… 3 songs.

250 BPM

267 BPM

275 BPM (This sounds like 8th notes to me but their score says it’s 16th notes)
Same goes for the part at 1:15.

I could have missed some songs that were 125+ BPM with 32nd notes though.

2 Likes