Any tips for making guitar webcam videos?

I have a logitech C920 webcam. I never really used it and am trying to make a guitar video. The problem is that it creates a fishbowl effect. Anything at exactly 3ish feet looks correct. Closer looks like a fishbowl, but even just 5’ away looks like 15 feet. It seems impossible to get everything in frame AND show guitar technique.

I’m having difficulty just framing the entire guitar while still showing enough detail for the technique.

I did learn SOMETHING about guitar (webcam) videos, which is that, if you want your amp or other gear as “scenery”, it has to be behind the neck of the guitar which is absolutely the worst place for the gear if you are actually using it. You will stab your amp/gear with the guitar neck if you twist to face it, and your right hand is as far away as possible making adjustments difficult.

WHO KNEW? All those cool guitar webcam videos that look effortless were carefully staged with the gear in a useless position.

Seriously though, what am I looking for in a video camera that does not distort distances like a webcam? Is there some camera with enough detail to show technique that can also frame everything without making it look like a fishbowl?

Would consider smartphone, but its not integrated with computer audio… so that seems like a dead end.

I just use my phone for quick videos to post here, but for anything more serious, my DSLR. I’ll then record my amp mic’d up separately and align the two in a video editor. As far as having gear as “scenery” I have my guitars wall mounted and my amp next to them so I usually point the camera such that my amp and wall of guitars are behind me - since 95% of the videos I shoot are A/B pickup comparisons it’s not like I’m really ever reaching behind me to twiddle knobs on my amp.

Does a DLSR have an ability to “frame” things better than a webcam? Is there some setting where everything looks like its the same distance, yet you can still see the playing detail? Or is this accomplished by having the camera/webcam farther away and “cropping” the video to frame the scene?

This stuff is probably taught to 5th graders, but I never learned it.

I’m afraid I’m not sure what you mean. I guess if I understand you right by “framing,” then that’s a combination of zooming in or zooming out until everything fits inside the frame and there isn’t a ton of extra space around me, as well as adjusting aperture width until I’ve got the depth of field I’m looking for - shallow depth of field with things a little fuzzy in the background can look cool, but your focus has to be dead on to get that to work so I usually err on being a little wide.