Any Victory V40 like recommendations?

I’m considering buying a new amp

My main criteria right now are:

1 channel, I want an amp that sounds good with headroom but some gain when pushed. Thinking tubes here. The idea is to have an amp where you can’t hide behind excessive compression when practicing. So I’m thinking maybe a simple eq, but not much more. The more options on the amp the more I find that I end up tweaking instead of practicing, which is fun. But not great for guitar technique.

Adjustable power mode. I’ve had 100W amps and 5 W amps but I really like the idea of being able to get the tubes working a bit without being very loud. I should be able to practice and teach at
home and take it to band practice/gigs.

Portable, I really like the size of the V40 or anything similar. Basically, if it can be lifted with one hand and is relatively small then that’s good enough. So i’m thinking head rather than combo.

I’m not super knowledgeable when it comes to what’s out there so any recommendations or other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I really like the the look and audio I’ve heard of the Victory V40. It’s just at the top of my budget unless there is something out there with a Line Out too. Then I might consider spending more.

Unfortunately it’s not super easy to find one to try in this part of Norway. So anyone who has tried one please share your experiences!

1 Like

Maybe take a look at the Marshall Origin amps. One channel, not very complicated settings, three power levels. And they’re not very expensive.

2 Likes

How much preamp gain are you after? They’re extremely expensive in Europe, but the Mesa Mark-V:25 might give you what you’re after - loud, but can be cut down to 5 watts (independently for each channel) if you need to, and tons of gain. There’s also the 35, which adds a speaker emulated out and a solo boost.

Other than that I’ve never played one but the 5150 III lunchbox amp is supposed to be pretty damned good, too.

Thanks a lot @Sorc and @Drew!

Now I’ve got a couple more options to consider, I’ll see if I can find somewhere to try them.

Always wanted a Mesa, but never quite been able to justify the cost to myself.

1 channel, lots of headroom, good when pushed? JCM 800. Add some kind of attenuator for your adjustable power mode.

Thanks @Prlgmnr! I’ve been hoping not to spring for an extra attenuator. But if the amp does the job then it may be well worth just going for an attenuatior too.

the best attenuator for a JCM is a room far away from people and a pair of earplugs anyway

1 Like

Update: ended up going for the V40 and a two notes Torpedo Captor. Very happy with the setup so far.

1 Like