Anyone actually done the Bulletproof Musician course?

I’ve been thinking about going for this course for some time now, but $ 249 is a lot of money for for an online course. And I can’t seem to find much in the way reviews.

Kageyama seemed solid in the interview with Troy, and his newsletters are really interesting so I don’t really doubt that it can be effective but wanted to check here before buying it.

The subjects that seem to be covered here are issues that, I suspect, can easily be overlooked in the day to day playing of the guitar. Plus I just read Matthew Syed’s “Black Box Thinking”, so I’m very focused on marginal gains these days.

@Brendan, how did you guys come across him? And has anyone on the code cracking team tried the full course?

1 Like

We came across Noa’s blog while researching practice strategy, liked his stuff, and saw he was in NYC so it was a great fit to meet with him. We haven’t gone through his “Beyond Practicing” course so can’t speak to this specifically.

On the main page for the course here looks like there are some testimonials:

https://members.bulletproofmusician.com/edu/beyond-practicing-2/

I see there’s also a 60-day money back guarantee so if you have the cash, not really any risk to give it a try. But yeah if anyone here has done the course, let us know!

4 Likes

I can’t speak to the course as I have not done it.

I like Noa’s stuff in general, but he seems mostly focused on the classical world. I’d be interested to know how much of his stuff applies more broadly.

1 Like

It seems to me that the seven skills he focuses on an transferable to any instrument outside of the classical world. Indeed any motor skill that takes time to master.
Plus if this is empirically proven to work in relation to sports then I can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be relevant for music. I’m assuming here that it is based on empirical research. It seems like he draws on a lot of studies he actually cites, so to me it seems sound.

I’ve always thought of learning an instrument as any sport in terms of you take what you need to master, break it down a subset of cognitive and motor skills and master those through finding solutions and learn how to do it consistently.

Will let you guys know how it is if (although probably) when I sign up.

3 Likes

Please do! Thanks. Bump, etc.

So, I haven’t completed the course in any meaningful way (yet). But I’ve listened through all of the lectures. One challenge with giving any kind of review is that I don’t want to give too much away, the guy has put together a solid syllabus, and should (quite rightly) be compensated fairly with me revealing all his “tricks”.

His lectures are, at times a bit dull, which I suppose is unavoidable if you want to be thorough. But they are also full of interesting references to sports and he’s GREAT in that he cites references that back up his statements, a lot of them are sports
related but they seems absolutely transferable to musicians. They come in both video and audio format, meaning that you can listen to them in the car too, they’re mostly not dependant on visual cues so you get the meaning from simply listening, although there are some moments that are him showing clips of practice rituals etc. But you can always go back and see the clips later.

There are many moments where I find myself making connections to my own playing that are obvious when pointed out, but I haven’t worked on deliberately. An example from my own playing is when he mentions that when we practice we might feel confident and playing with the appropriate amount of attack, but on stage we might get nervous, trying to play it safe by playing more carefully than you’ve practice. This can often give less than optimal results because your body has, in fact, practice on playing with a certain attack, not carefully. I find this in my own playing when playing acoustic guitars plugged in to the PA. The course is full of these small insights, and a lot of them are not directly related to guitar playing. Another example is trying to do some jumping jacks, quick jog or something to get your pulse going, then try playing to simulate the experience of performing with nerves.

I also think his exercises would probably work (because of a general busy life these days I haven’t gotten round to do this in a regular way yet). One thing to note is that a lot of these exercises are not done with the instrument, in fact they might seem unrelated to playing, so you should be a person who won’t automatically give into the “this is stupid” feeling we sometimes get when trying something new that does not immediately make sense to do.

All in all, I think it is worth the money, but as with all these things, the results come with the follow through, not the actual purchase of the course. My qualifier here is that this is a priori, I haven’t completed it properly yet and this is not a testimonial in the typical regard.

Anyways, that’s my experience so far, can return with more information once I’ve completed the course.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, this sounds interesting. I like the bit about getting your adrenaline going before sitting down the practice to emulate the performing experience. And one of my favourite things about Noa’s site in general is how he cites academic studies and sources even in his freebie blog posts. Good stuff.

2 Likes

With regard to giving credit to sources where due, I can attest to the rigor of Noa’s undergraduate experience. :slight_smile:

I’m in.

2 Likes