Anyone else waiting for new seminars to come? Ideas?

Don´t get me wrong… I love everything CTC team it´s doing, the interviews, the live events, QAs… I´m a happy MM suscriber. But I was wondering If we could expect new seminars at some point. They seem to take a lot of work but hey are truly amazing to study/ enjoy… What do you think?

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for subscribing and glad you’re enjoying everything so far.

Hard to say, when it comes to the seminar format specifically. The three we’ve made so far are the result of years and years of learning and practice. They also actually originated as live workshops Troy did dozens of times, and that process played a big part in shaping them into their current form.

Right now we’re planning some more chapterized lesson material like adding new stuff to the Pickslanting Primer. We’ll also keep making videos along the lines of our YouTube features / interview analysis videos. Plus interviews, live stuff, etc.

Are there certain topics you’d really love to see us explore for hours on end? Let us know! There’s lots we can consider, including future live broadcasts, “guest lectures” on certain topics, and so on.

I think the “Introduction to Picking Motion” live broadcast we did a few months back is a good example of the kind of thing we can do more of — pretty detailed tutorial material, but not so crazy production-wise that it would take us prohibitively long to make.

If you have suggestions for any particular things you’d like to see covered along these lines, we’d love to hear them. Any other thoughts on the balance of what we make and how we present it are always welcome!

1 Like

Thanks for the insights… I totally understand that the value to production time ratio it´s crucial. I have enjoyed so much the seminars that I want more. I love the interviews, but I find the material much usable when you present it along with your analysis.
Regarding to topics, Im curios about people that can play heavy rythms all downstrokes. Improvisation chunking, mechanical and aural. Tapping (yeah I know its tha anti CTC, but still I think that you have a lot to say about it)
Thnk for the reply

My dream seminar would be: John PEtrucci style.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of the seminars as well. Really, I feel grateful anytime Troy breaks down a player’s technique and presents a clear way forward with specific suggestions on what to practice (and why).

2 Likes

I’m excited for all the new interviews- especially the one with Gambale to see why kind of his lines that I can try to Crosspick.

I think a good topic would be Fretboard Visualization and Improvisational thinking/choices- similar to the Martin Miller interview that was done.

Also I would love to have Tom Quayle come in and give a Legato and Improvisation Masterclass for his P4 Tuning.

3 Likes

Something on tapping would be cool. Michael Romeo would be perfect for this as he does amazing string skipped tapping and a load of arpeggios played with left hand hammer ons.

@Brendan have you ever tried to get in touch with Michael Romeo? He’s a great picker, tapper and legato player. I think he is still based in NYC.

3 Likes

Not that I recall. We can definitely consider it.

Thanks all for the comments / suggestions!

3 Likes

Michael Romeo would be of serious interest to me. Incredible talent who seems to have it all in terms of technique. Knows his theory, but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t seem to overthink his technique much and it might be another case of “The Natural”.

3 Likes

New here. Love what you’re doing. Great material and much needed. A topic I’d love to know more about is Holdsworth. HIs total technique. Such an original player.

I’d love to see something with someone from the jam band scene. Maybe a Warren Haynes or Tom Hamilton type. Someone who plays a ton of different styles of music.

Agreed. Jimmy Herring anyone?!!

3 Likes

The interviews are cool but I would really like to see the Science of Speed material with John Taylor released and some seminars on practice methods for speed and consistency.

1 Like

An interview with Michael Romeo would be such an incredible adition. His picking technique is amazing and very hard to analize in normal videos, since his movements are so small.
Also he has his particular “sweep tapping” technique which he has shown in some demostrations, but still remains a mistery as to how he keeps it so clean.
And lastly, the fact that there are very few videos of him playing (in decent quality).
Please bring him to CTC!!

3 Likes

I’m glad you asked…:blush:

I’d like to see more info on fretting hand mechanics. How different postures and body types could be compatible. For example: I have been playing professionally since I was a teenager. I have been teaching for 20+ years with 35-40 students a week. Over the years my body has changed (insert the dad from American pie, lol) I used to be severely overweight and have since dropped over 100lbs and counting. I’ve recently been revamping my technique and have noticed that my fretting hand was starting to strain. So, like my belt, I shortened my strap quite a bit and vwala, my pain subsided.

I know CTC is predominantly picking hand oriented but the work that Troy is doing is revolutionary. I just hate to see this scientific approach limited only to picking mechanics.

I’d also like to see some slow motion analysis of finger picking. Especially flamenco technique! I’ve been playing classical guitar for most of my career in addition to every other style under the sun. That being said, out of every style I’ve studied Flamenco is perhaps the vaguest as far as in depth technique explanation. Plus, there are sooo many ways of doing the same thing. True flamenco players seem to all just watch and learn. There’s no agreement as to which way is best. Because of this, I feel it would make a wonderful addition to the Cracking the Code series. I find picado (alternating i & m with rapid rest strokes) I find I can do it faster with free strokes but it looses bite. There is a lot of debate.

Anyhow, thanks for reading this far. You’ve earned a sticker :metal::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::metal::guitar::sunglasses::banana::musical_note::notes:

2 Likes