Anyone got a routine for upstrokes?

wondering if anyone had any wood shedding material for upstrokes ??? i would like to be able to isolate the feeling of making an upstroke … i maybe on a wild goose chase using dwp … chances are im not sure what im talking about haha thanks

Take the Paul Gilbert lick and start it on an upstroke. After you get that concept well into your mind and hands, apply it in every alt.picking exercise you practice.

that all depends if your on a single string then either one should feel the same its when your crossing strings. if the upstroke clears the next string then its an UXS and if its down then that would be DXS. doing an upstroke in isolation is similar to doing ll downstrokes and if thats your thing then do the reverse of what is needed for the down is a good start. If you were chugging were all downstrokes then at some point you have to go back over the next lower string to do the same. I would think that wrist extension and flexion along with deviation come into play on doing this and on upstroke only it would be the same only backwards if you know what I mean. But i dont really think of any benefit of doing all upstrokes seriously unless you want to do a reggae ska death band.

2 Likes

i just wish to feel in control of the up strokes as much as i do down strokes…

problem solved … i try to keep my wrist to stationary… once i bring my arm into it for tracking purposes it comes together

1 Like

for me, on a lot of licks that change strings, the upstroke is almost 100% string tracking. I guess it would be the same for downstrokes going to higher strings but that probably comes more natural to most of us

1 Like

also my pick grip has been playing a role in everything lol wouldnt have thought just using a little bit more of the side of index finger would give more of suppation in my wrist (dont know how to spell that and apparently neither does the laptop ha) feels more natural and keeps me locked into the dwp method

supination??

1 Like

ah …there we go haha thank yee

1 Like