Are there ever.. Y’know… lessons?

These videos seemed interesting. So I signed up. And thus far…. I frankly don’t know what the hell I even paid for.

Are there ever any actual lessons? Or just this guy talking in circles and showing videos of pros over and over?

Been through the primer?

3 Likes

Agreed! that’s our suggested starting point.

@bigjimmurray here is the direct link:

PS: and of course our interactive Technique Critique feature:

This. Go through the primer, in order.

there are plenty of great resources to learn stuff, you need look into the gypsy jazz communities for that if this is your main underlying point. but here you might not find details on the entire techniques, they might leave holes. or you could get on jtc as well this is a resource i am unfamiliar with, but again you might find holes in the technique process on that site as well. the point being technique is very important so don’t think this site is worthless because this is actually one of the best if possibly the only resource around to help us understand how the greats maneuver through their phrasing. because once you have the keys you can go learn the songs much easier, sure you might not be as fast. but playing phrasing that you don’t know fast takes time for your body and mind to understand it. however you will be playing it with proper technique which is absolutely crucial if you desire to learn certain phrasing.

Hey! Thanks for signing up.

As others have noted, the Primer is our “primary” resource. However, it’s still very much a work in progress, and some stuff is still a little hard to find, or elsewhere on the site in other lessons. Some basic topics like hand synchronization, for example, are not really front center and obvious in the Primer yet, so that will be getting a revamp soon.

For now, the intro sequence is:

1. Table tap tests
  2. Tremolo
  3. Learn about escape motion
  4. Determine your escape

At some point in these first few steps we assume users will just make a TC to sanity check that basic motions are working as expected. So an important part of the “lessons” aspect of the site is the live feedback from us. We can then direct you to other parts of the site where useful stuff is located if it’s not obvious where to find it.

Looks lke you’ve done the flexion-extension table tap test already. If you want to do a couple others and film a tremolo clip as a TC, we’re happy to take a look.

Once again, thanks for signing up!

When I started the primer had a lot less content. What I got out of the rest was mechanical knowledge, tons and tons of great playing captured in close-up high definition, iconic and bite-sized pieces of guitar vocabulary, all tabbed out correctly.

1 Like

When I subscribed for a little while when I had the money to, the primer didn’t have much either. What I did get was loads of awesome interviews and in depth analysis of techniques from a variety of styles and players. I also learned how to watch and really see and hear what they were doing giving me analytical tools that will serve me for the rest of my life. I learned a new way of looking at things, and now I get a guitar lesson from everyone I can see play.

3 Likes

As a subscriber member you have access to all of the content in the (literally named) ‘Lessons’ section. The 3 seminars in particular are super in-depth studies of the playing techniques of Yngwie (Volcano), Eric Johnson (Cascade), and a bunch of alternate pickers (Anti-Gravity). There’s many hours of explanation, breakdown, and playing examples in these courses alone.

You also have access to all of the ‘Interviews’, which are really compelling and full of useful insights from Troy’s approach to reverse-engineering the technical systems of these great players. As a bonus they include interactive transcription of all the artist’s playing on the recording.

I guess what other things do you expect in a recorded video lesson? Troy showing you how to play songs and licks? beginner-oriented ‘how to play guitar’ courses? jazz-rock music theory? There’s lots of places on the internet that cover that kind of content. The focus here is really a specific niche, emphasizing an evidence-supported analysis of virtuoso guitarist picking mechanics.

3 Likes

I’m currently rewatching the Teemu Mantysaari interview and I would consider it a superb lesson. He talks about pick attack, angle, arm placement etc. It also includes a ton of great licks fully tabbed out with camera angles that allow you to see exactly what’s going on. A gold mine! Good luck.

1 Like