Are you tone deaf? Take the test... for science!

Ran across this awesome bit of science yesterday. I won’t spoil the fun, but let’s just say, we had a good 15 minutes of fun with this and you’ll know why when you get there!

3 Likes

23/26. It’s harder than I thought. There were some questions that were plausible but not :thinking:

There were definitely a few where I could easily fit some cool chords to the chromaticism. But those were no fun. We were cracking up laughing at the tape machine-style wow and flutter examples.

1 Like

I can relate to you :rofl:

26/26 but they’d been very kind, some could have been really tricky with just a single deviant note

needs to be a guitar-based one, like 26 versions of the solo from “Devil Take The Hindmost” and you have to rank them in order of how many of the notes are correct

You correctly identified **26 tunes (out of 26) on the Distorted Tunes Test. This score suggests that you may have trouble distinguishing pitch.
Wait… what?

4 Likes

Ha.

Kidding aside this test is presumably measuring sensory capabilities but is mostly just testing your familiarity with the tunes. If you don’t know the tunes, and the notes aren’t obviously detuned or distorted in some way, I don’t see how anyone is going to know those are the wrong ones.

I also appreciate the difficulty of figuring out a test that avoids this issue, of course.

I got 26 / 26 and it says I may have trouble distinguishing pitch :confused:

1 Like

You correctly identified 26 tunes (out of 26) on the Distorted Tunes Test. This score suggests that you may have trouble distinguishing pitch.

There were a couple I didn’t know, but as soon as they played any notes that weren’t in the original key it was an instant nope. On the other hand, most tunes that you could expect a lot of people to know don’t have a lot of accidentals, so I can see that being a tricky line to walk for the creators of the test.

I got the same message after I took it with a 24/26. I didn’t know all the songs so some of the wrong ones kinda sounded neat to me so I selected it as right.

Speaking of familiar tunes sounding different…

EDIT: 26/26.

This reminds me of a section in one of Scott Henderson’s instructional videos where he plays familiar tunes with correct rhythm (Jingle Bells, Raindrops) and with the wrong notes, even the wrong melodic contour. You can instantly recognise the tunes because the rhythms are so strong.

I’m pretty sure I could actually do that.

Maybe Holdsworth fanatics need a different test.

1 Like

The wrong ones sounded pretty dissonant to me like a Grateful Dead jam or something. And the score result is trippy/odd as well.

Capture

one
two
three

Yay! 25/26 I am really happy with that haha

25/26, didn’t know a lot of them and I know which one I got wrong. I was thinking to myself technically it’s correct, but it’s missing a note :joy:

Still, best to get sorted with my hearing aid now I guess

1 Like

Just did the test and got the same message about having trouble distinguishing pitch, despite scoring 100%. I’ve emailed them suggesting they may have trouble with their site!

Although familiarity with tunes helps, I don’t think it’s essential, because a few of the examples had egregiously wrong notes from other keys (without being jazz tunes, lol)

You correctly identified 26 tunes (out of 26) on the Distorted Tunes Test. Congratulations! You have a fine sense of pitch.

Didn’t know half the tunes - just went on if they we’re in a simple scale and didn’t modulate!

Ha! They fixed it.

I think you can take the credit for this!

2 Likes

Yes, they emailed back to say they’d fixed it! Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

1 Like