Ascending Gilbert Sixes with only DWPS

Is it possible to play the ascending Gilbert sixes pattern with only DWPS? It seems to members that the Gilbert Sixes lends itself to two way pickslanting only. I was looking at the tabs for it in the Teemu pack and can’t figure out how a DWPS would play the ascending version without two way pick slanting.

If I understand correctly your question, I believe what you need here is the solution to most of the world’s problems, i.e. swiping :smiley:

1 Like

This right here. It’s how I do it. I’m worse at it than just ascending/descending scales (rather than the reverse Batio, I call my picking strategy the Reverse Tommo), but it’s absolutely doable and a matter of practice for me. Swiping for the win.

Hahaha thank you this is probably the apex of my guitar hobbyist career :sunglasses:

Actually I also want to work on swiping using DWPS. It is still a bit awkward but when it clicks I can feel the great potential of it!

One of the reasons I call it that is that we seem to have similar pick attacks (and I just recently got to playing full 3nps scales in sixteenths around 180, lol). Again, once I have the equipment I’ll try to post some stuff so you can see I’m not going crazy :wink:

2 Likes

Same here, I DWPS it with swiping. Still working on TWPS so for descending Gilbert sixes I’ll start with an upstroke. Descending felt a little awkward at first even though after the first three notes it’s the same right hand mechanic, probably because my brain was used to starting phrases on a down stroke.

1 Like

Swiping is so hard to get sounding “clean”, especially on the bass strings.

I tried playing it with DWPS, but also using hybrid picking to prevent the need for UWPS. I don’t use hybrid picking descending though as I would use legato escapes descending. I can only get it at 70bpm though! Oh well, back to single string patterns for a while.

The Gilbert sixes is definitely a tricky pattern, I think if a player can master this they are well on their way to being able to mastering anything.

Actually swiping becomes a bit easier when you speed it up (I think)

Tommo: Do you think this is because you’re an UWPS guy? I find swiping very easy at slower speeds with DWPS, possibly because of how easy it is to get (near-)perfect muting when you have all those fingers to use.

Does this mean that the Gilbert sixes is the perfect lick to practice two-way pickslanting?

1 Like

I’d say just the opposite. Gilbert sixes can be played with swiping very easily.

If I were to practice 2WPS specifically, I’d go with something that can’t easily be swiped well: alternate-picked descending fours starting on a downstroke comes to mind.

1 Like

Indeed the left hand muting is easier with dwps, but I still didn’t manage to convince the right hand that “there is no string”! When swiping with uwps, instead, I can barely feel the string changes.

Actually I just realised that the easiest way to play this with dwps is simply to start with an upstroke!

I think Troy even mentioned it in some video but I had forgotten.

2 Likes

I might be missing something in this conversation, but have you tried UWPS starting on a downstroke? I feel it lends itself well to strict alternate picking. You have to pass over the second string and “outside” pick it in each 6 note sequence, but no string hopping is needed. I’ve been plagued with this dilemma ever since I bought the Intense Rock DVD and this seems to help me a little. I don’t have to think as much about my picking hand and I’m not getting caught up on strings. Recently, I’ve been trying to adjust the angle so I don’t veer to far from the strings. I haven’t experimented with swiping yet, so not sure if it makes life easier in this example.

You’ll still be swiping, on the repeat this time, if you’re using solely UWPS. Edit: I’m a dumbass

Not sure I follow here. If we’re talking about the same lick, it’s 3 notes on the sixth string, then six notes on each subsequent string. Even if you turn it around and come back up, it’s an even number of strokes on every string except for the 3 notes at the very beginning. Starting with an UWPS downstroke (or a DWPS upstroke) gets you free at the end of those three notes, and the rest is straight one-way pickslanting with no swiping necessary.

Are there two different licks that people are referring to as “Gilbert Sixes”? Are some folks in the thread using that name to refer to the infamous 2WPS lick from the beginning of Intense Rock I, rather than the simpler Gilbert six note one-way pattern?

1 Like

Nope, I’m just a dumbass and was thinking of the repeating, two-strings-only, version of the pattern.

Yeah, I was referring to Paul’s 6 string patterns, 3 notes per string in which the new 6 starts on the last string played. I haven’t watched the video in awhile and totally forgot about the 2 string versions. I should have clarified.