Attempted DBX - Trem, Arps, Scales

That’s pretty much all you need :wink:

No rush! Take your time with this stuff, I think you are definitely headed in the right direction! Now that you have a nice setup going I suspect you have overcome the main hurdles, and things should clean up slowly but steadily!

Here’s Andy Wood assessing my technique this past weekend at the Woodshed. He gave me a lifetime of advice in just a few words:

• Work on my left-right hand coordination
  • Listen to the tone of every note and make sure it is sounded with intent - avoid the ghost notes, clams, clunks etc.

3 Likes

Wow! So cool to get a lesson from Andy!

Some reservations on this: this is good advice only when you already have a solid technique in place. So, this is the case for your “USX-gipsy” technique, for example.

For your crosspicking explorations, we already talked about the importance of initially “going for it” at realistic speed even if the notes don’t come out all clean, and to learn to recognize the clean reps VS the less clean ones to gradually increase the hit rate.

So the priorities as: first “mechanically correct”, and only afterwards “musically correct”.

In the case of Andy, he has a well established technique for all the “tasks” that he faces on his guitar, so the advice is definitely accurate for him :slight_smile:

Hope that makes sense, and just to clarify I consider Andy one of the best guitar players in history!

2 Likes

After a few weeks of anchoring lightly just below the bridge, this seems like a real breakthrough, an “instant” improvement in my overall accuracy at the higher tempos in my current range. Thanks for pushing me to try this!

1 Like

The master in session.

3 Likes