Bebop Mechanics

So I’m trying to work on applying some of these techiniques to Bebop and I’m curious how everyone here would approach playing this sort of line .

for reference…pretty fast and clean

2 things:

1. there are probably numerous ways to play those and other bebop lines. makes sense just due to how everyone is different and finds different ways to do things. 2 guys pick up a guitar, 1 somehow stumbles onto dwps and the other stumbles onto uwps. They both like bebop etc. They both find ways to play those lines

2. find several vids of Ruller playing live and you’ll quickly have your answer Even pics will help

Here’s how I do it

2 Likes

Hey there - great playing and thanks for bringing in a fine player like Van Ruller into the discussion forum! If I had to play this line, I would throw in a bunch of legato a la Metheny or Scofield - particularly the last sixteen note going into the first sixteen note of a 4 note sequence or 2nd sixteen note going into the 3rd sixteen. Martin Miller demonstrates this kind of legato in one of the interviews - I think it’s called “Metheny Doubles.”

I tried to alternate pick the whole thing but I found it to be cumbersome - like TWPS and some crosspicking but I couldn’t quite pull off. You seem to know what you’re doing - again, sounds great!